Events Manager, Programming Department (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) fosters the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with more than 8,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. Established in 2004, YPFP is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
The Programming Team designs and oversees YPFP’s extraordinary array of events, and the Series Director supports the Programming Team in the development and execution of the Series. The Series Director is a vital component of every event in the series, leading each phase from concept to achievement. In accordance with the Programming team, Events Managers create comprehensive programs of approximately twelve events annually.
If you are interested in this volunteer staff position, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Working in teams of 2-4, develop 3-4 comprehensive programs (roughly twelve events annually) aligned with YPFP strategic goals for members
- Work with the Managing Director (MD) and the Sr. Director of Events (DE) to:
- Set schedule of events for the calendar year:
- Draft and send invitations to speakers
- Draft member invitation email and website event posting
- Draft event program
- Draft thank you letter for the speaker
- Work with staff from other YPFP departments to execute unique events and complete each event lifecycle.
- Attend monthly DC Programming meetings as scheduled (usually the last Monday of the month)
- Attend 2 events per month, and ideally one event per week
- Adhere to deadlines set by the VP, MD, and DE for Programming
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Member (dues-paying) of YPFP
- Must be located in Washington, DC
- Creative, active energy and eagerness to create multi-layered events
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team while also working independently to meet Programming goals and deadlines
- Demonstrated professional or volunteer experience in planning and executing policy events
- Ability to attend designated number of events for the calendar year
- Availability for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5pm) and weekends
- Must be able to access ypfp.org e-mail (via Google Apps) and respond to YPFP emails promptly
- Must be able to use all relevant Google Apps (shared documents, sites, forms, etc.); training is available.