Editor, Research Department (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
The YPFP blog fosters a dialogue on the future of foreign policy, leadership and the rise of the Millenial generation. The blog and publications team is looking for editors to curate YPFP’s print and digital publications. Aspiring journalists, innovators, analysts, and wonks are all welcome. Editors will be responsible for assisting the Director and Associate Director with commissioning, reviewing, and editing submissions. They will play integral roles on a team that is looking to expand quickly.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Read, review, and edit submissions for quality, clarity, and content. (Average of 8-10 submissions per month and 1 report per quarter.)
- Provide constructive feedback to YPFP’s writers and members.
- Identify and recruit additional content and blog submissions from general membership.
- Brainstorm story ideas for events and contributors.
- Consult with staff members on the editing of in-house materials.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Wordsmith and card-carrying member of the grammar police.
- A strong passion for the written word in all its forms.
- Excellent ability to communicate well and diplomatically in writing.
- Experience working on blogs, journals, or newspapers.
- Ability to take direction, be a part of a team, and act independently.
- Think different, creatively and critically.
- Demonstrated interest in foreign policy issues.
- Experience in graphic design, layout, desktop publishing are pluses.
To join the staff of YPFP DC, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a letter of interest and resume. Please include the position title in the subject line.