Editor, Programming Department (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) fosters the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers.
YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with more than 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
The Programming Team designs, leads, and oversees YPFP’s extensive programming opportunities and events. YPFP is recognized for holding lectures, roundtables, and intimate gatherings with renowned foreign policy leaders. These events include Leaderships-Modules, Embassy events, Distinguished Speaker Series, Revamped Authors Series and other one off events. Past speakers include Admiral Michael Mullen, Hon. Michele Flournoy, Bob Woodward, Amb. Susan Rice, Joseph Stiglitz, John Hamre, and Steve Coll.
The Programming Editor serves as a member of the YPFP Programming Department’s staff and is responsible for editing a wide range of Programming documents to include Invitations letters, event natives, Programming internal documents and other ad hoc documents. The incumbent reports to the Vice President (VP) and Managing Director (MD) of Programming and keeps him/her informed of document progress successes, and updates.
The successful candidate will display a clear capacity for document editing, innovation, creativity, and ability to work both within a team environment and independently. S/he is organized, detail-oriented, and skilled in communication and shows a passion for maintaining YPFP’s reputation in the foreign policy community as an organization with unrivaled programming offerings.
To join the staff of YPFP, please contact email@example.com with a brief statement of interest and resume.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Vice President (VP), Managing Director (MD), Program Managers and Events Managers to:
- Edit invitations to speakers
- Edit member invitation email
- Edit event narrative/ website event posting
- Edit thank you letters for the speaker
- Edit Programming proposals and partnership documents
- Edit larger strategic internal documents (Transition Plan, Operational Plan, Training Package)
- Edit other Programming ad hoc documents
- Attend bi-weekly DC Programming meetings as scheduled (usually every other Sunday)
- Adhere to deadlines set by the VP and MD of Programming
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Member (dues-paying) of YPFP
- Must be located in the Washington, DC metropolitan area
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team while also working independently to meet Programming Department goals and deadlines
- Availability for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5pm) and weekends Must be able to access ypfp.org e-mail (via Google Apps) and respond to YPFP emails promptly
- This position requires a minimum commitment of 5 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances
- Must be able to use all relevant Google Apps (shared documents, sites, forms, etc.); training is available.