Director, Membership Analysis, Membership Department (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders. Founded in 2004 and run by a team of more than 100 dedicated volunteers, YPFP has grown from a start up to a global community of 10,000 young professionals in more than 60 countries with branches in Washington, New York, London, and Brussels.
The Director of Member Analysis will be responsible for the planning, execution, and ongoing management of YPFP’s member analysis program. In coordination with the Managing Director and Vice-President of Membership, the Director will design and publish member analysis products, manage YPFP’s membership database, and manage a team of approximately 6 volunteers. The successful candidate will demonstrate outstanding analytic skills, the ability to manage a team, and independently initiative. The candidate must possess competency in data manipulation. Experience in statistics or computer programming is highly desired.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead the Membership Analysis team, in collaboration with the Managing Director for Membership. The member analysis team will be made of approximately 6 volunteer staff.
- Manage team efforts to create engaging graphical presentations on membership interests, activities, background, and recruitment for a variety of audiences.
- Provide membership analysis support to YPFP branches and global operations, including evaluation and processing of membership information from YPFP’s database.
- Design and implement annual member and staff surveys.
- Work with the director of engagement to identify the most effective ways to communicate with members based on their demographics, profession, education, geography, and areas of interest.
- Maintain and edit YPFP membership databases, including member contact information, and troubleshoot membership-related permission issues with the YPFP website.
- Serve as the point of contact and coordinator for membership-related services in other departments (i.e. Liaisons, Benefits, Blog, Discussion Groups, and Joblink), and provide on-the-job training or guidence for member focused technology platforms.
- Provide assistance to other membership department projects and represent the membership department at events.
- Answer member inquiries sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- YPFP Member (dues-paying), based in Washington, D.C.
- Resourcefulness, entrepreneurship, and ability to manage a team.
- Strong analytically skills. Ability to interpret large data sets and social media usage.
- Competency in data manipulation and analysis, Microsoft Excel, Access Database.
- Knowledge of importing and exporting data using xml, csv or similar formats.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills.
- Experience with statistics and computer programming highly desired.
- Familiarity with Google Apps, Customer Relations Management (CRM) tools, Sharepoint, and other wiki/shared document library tools highly desired.
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies quickly with little training by exploring, and by using books, manuals, and on-line help.
- Ability to handle multiple activities, manage priorities and meet tight time-lines.
- Ability to attend a membership department staff meeting once per month.
- This position requires a minimum commitment of 10 to 15 hours per week, availability to attend meetings and events on weeknights (after 5 pm), and the ability to respond to email inquiries in 24 hours under normal circumstances.
- One year commitment to position, following a 3-month probationary period.
To join the staff of YPFP DC, please contact email@example.com with a letter of interest and resume. Please include the position title in the subject line.