Director, Discussion Groups, Research Department (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
YPFP's Discussion Groups are peer-led communities within YPFP that offer members an opportunity to connect with other like-minded young professionals who share a depth of experience in a particular region or subject. Each Discussion Group (DG) serves as a focal point within YPFP to promote thoughtful engagement through monthly private meetings and occasional public activities. Members present original research for internal critique, host guest speakers, analyze current events, and host dinners at each other’s’ homes. Equal parts academic symposium and coffee shop debate, members set the agenda, drive the conversation, and address the issues that matter to them most.
With 19 DGs and a large staff of DG Chairs, the program is one of the most valuable membership benefits for YPFP members. The Director of DGs is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations including ensuring that all DGs are operating effectively, and recruiting new DG chairs to start new groups as per the interest of YPFP members. DGs are under the umbrella of the Research Department, and the director helps to execute the Research department's strategic objectives. This is a volunteer position with a one-year commitment and a general time commitment of 15 hours per week.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee day-to-day DG operations
- Review and forward on DG applications to the respective Chairs
- Respond to members' questions and follow up if necessary
- Attend DG meetings on a periodic basis
- Manage DG calendar and webpages
- Recruit (interview and hire) DG Chairs
- Provide Chairs with guidance on recruiting members, member retention, procuring meeting space, and other issues that may arise
- Expand DG program by reviewing proposals for new DGs
- Collaborate with other teams in YPFP (i.e. Programming, Public Service, Liaisons, Marketing & Communications, etc.)
Eligibility and Qualificaitons:
- Located in Washington, DC and a YPFP general (dues paying) member
- Highly motivated and responsible
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organization and management skills (project and team management experience desired)
- Strong communication, written, and interpersonal skills; very responsive over email
- Well-rounded and eclectic personality desired but not required
- Availability to attend monthly Research Department meetings in-person and YPFP all-staff meetings every two months
- Strong interest in foreign affairs
To join the staff of YPFP DC, please contact email@example.com with a letter of interest and resume. Please include the position title in the subject line.