Director of Development, Foreign Policy Initiative
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers.
YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with 8,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC; with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
The Foreign Policy Initiative (FPI) seeks an energetic and experienced director of development with strong organizational skills and attention to detail to manage relationships with donors and potential donors, expand FPI’s funding sources, and create and implement an annual development strategy at our office in Washington, DC. The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director. Roles and Responsibilities
- Managing all donor relationships: cultivating relationships with new donors and maintaining/expanding relationships with current donors
- Scheduling and attending meetings with Executive Director to pitch FPI’s activities
- Developing and coordinating funding opportunities for donors such as the Forum Sponsorship Program
- Planning and executing trips, dinners and events for fundraising purposes
- Engaging in research to identify new individual and foundation prospects
- Managing and expanding donor target list and database
- Writing fundraising letters and appeals; maintaining regular correspondence with foundations, donors; overseeing mailings
- Grant writing and reporting as necessary
Eligibility and Requirements
- YPFP General Member (dues-paying)
- Must be located in Washington, DC
- Working knowledge of social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, & Google+
- Excellent and creative writer
- Willingness to take on a number of tasks at any given time
- Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative, and proven ability to take ownership
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills
- Highly responsive to email and available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5pm) and weekends
- This position requires a minimum commitment of 5-10 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours
- Commitment of a total of one year, following a 3-month trial period
To join the staff of YPFP DC, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a letter of interest and resume. Please include the position title in the subject line.