Communications Manager, Refugee Assistance Program, Public Service Department (Volunteer)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) fosters the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with more than 8,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
The Public Service Team designs, leads, and oversees YPFP’s public service opportunities. Each Public Service department is operated by a Director and Associate Director who reports to the VP and MD, Public Service. These departments are: Refugee Assistance Program, YPFP in the Classroom, and Connect Veterans.
The successful candidate will serve as a member of the Refugee Assistance Program’s (RAP) leadership team and have extensive responsibility in managing communications sent out to volunteers and the larger YPFP community, promoting events and articles of interest on the Facebook page, as well as actively thinking and executing ways to keep volunteers engaged and interested. The Communications Manager will work closely with the RAP team in creating events for volunteers, as well as attend information sessions held every other month for interested volunteers in RAP.
The successful candidate will have previous experience working or volunteering with refugees, display strong leadership skills, with an emphasis on the ability to motivate peers, the capability to think broadly and strategically while remaining attentive to details, possess outstanding communications skills, and show a passion for maintaining YPFP’s reputation in the foreign policy community.
To join the staff of YPFP, please email your résumé and a brief statement of interest to email@example.com.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Communicate with RAP volunteers about upcoming events, articles of interest, and information sessions
- Attend all events and happy hour hosted by RAP
- Manage the RAP Facebook page and Twitter account to update volunteers with information
- Work with the Director in developing events and sending out communications to the larger YPFP community
- Working with external organizations that are interested in learning more about RAP, providing trainings, and events on behalf of RAP
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Must be located in DC area:
- Previous experience working or volunteering with refugees. Knowledge of refugee processing would be helpful for this position.
- General (dues-paying) member of YPFP
- Avid user of Facebook and/or Twitter
- Available 2-5 hours per week to engage with the RAP/YPFP community through social media channels and e-mail
- Superb external and internal communication skills
- Team player
- Previous experience with planning and organizing community service activities a plus.
- Prior experience building relationships with public service organizations a plus.
- Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative, and proven ability to lead a volunteer team.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills
- Attend the Public Service meetings once per month and provide updates on RAP
- Highly responsive to email and available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5pm) and weekends
- This position requires a minimum commitment of 5-10 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances
- Commitment of a total of one year, following a 3-month probationary period