The British Embassy in Washington DC is seeking a Communications Assistant to join its Communications Team in implementing a high impact communications strategy and monitoring and reporting on current affairs in the region. The Communications Assistant will also assist in delivery of projects, events and visit programmes including associated administration and budget management. The Embassy’s Communication Team works with policy experts and diplomats across the Embassy and London to deliver influence and impact for the UK in the US. Its main activities include monitoring and engaging with the media, digital diplomacy, events, and stakeholder engagement. The Communications Assistant reports to the Communications Manager and works closely with other members of the team and across departments.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Distilling and disseminating the wealth of reporting, commentary and analysis in the US media environment for internal consumption.
- Supporting the digital media component of the communication strategy including developing social media campaign content, updating the website and social media platforms and ensuring that all online content is accurate and updated on a timely basis.
- Maintaining the team’s forward planning grids.
- Responding to public enquiries on a timely basis.
- Providing project support and administration duties within the department.
Eligibility and Requirements
- At least one year of relevant work or internship experience.
- Self-starter able to work independently and accurately.
- Knowledge of current events and media industry.
- Excellent organisational, communication and computer skills.
- Knowledge of digital media tools.
- Ability to work under pressure of tight deadlines, while remaining focused and flexible, and able to maintain good telephone manner and positive and polite attitude.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 10 February 2014. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed. To apply, please visit: https://careers-britishembassy.icims.com/jobs/1290/communications-assist...