Associate Director, Human Capital (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy
Associate Director, Human Capital, Executive Office
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
As a member of YPFP’s Executive Office team, Human Capital is responsible for staff recruitment and leadership development for the organization’s professional volunteers. The Associate Director reports to the Director of Human Capital.
YPFP’s Human Capital team is not a typical Human Resources unit. In fact, it’s anything but. We want to invest the right resources into molding the most effective staff possible, and to do so, every staff member on the Human Capital team must be both highly creative and strategic in shaping staff development/leadership opportunities, given YPFP’s unique staff structure. Events, panels, and external outreach organized by Human Capital must reflect thoughtful analysis on how the organization will be better off because of these activities and initiatives.
If you have an entrepreneurial bent and like to challenge conventional wisdom, a job with a typical Human Resources team anywhere else may not be for you. But if you want to apply innovative thinking to tackling some of YPFP’s biggest institutional and operational challenges today, then the Human Capital team offers you a platform to experiment with new ideas, work across all departments of the organization, and implement and lead multiple projects.
If you are interested in this volunteer staff position, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Serve as point of contact for posting new volunteer staff positions to the YPFP Job Board and Volunteer page
- Work with the Director to ensure uniformity among position descriptions developed by individual departments
- Recruit staff and form/maintain connections with a diverse set of employers and employees in the Washington, DC area
- Manage onboarding process for newly hired staff
- Support Human Capital initiatives through assistance to other ad hoc projects such as new staff orientation, Staff Leadership Training (SLT) sessions, creating materials such as a staff handbook, and more.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- YPFP General Member (dues-paying)
- Interest in contributing to the YPFP Human Capital team and engaging with YPFP staff members worldwide
- Experience with organizational outreach and communication
- Resourcefulness, entrepreneurship, outgoing personality, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and work on a team
- Familiarity with Google Apps or other wiki/shared document library tools
- This position requires approximately 10 hours a week
- Must be available to meet at least monthly and respond to emails within 48 hours