Administrative and Research Assistant
The British Embassy in Washington, DC is seeking an Administrative and Research Assistant to join the Politics, Economics and Communication Group. PECG is located at the heart of the Embassy’s work and is comprised of three teams: a political team, an economic team and a communications team. The group is very much the British Government’s nerve centre into the political world, economy and media of the United States. This is an important administrative and research assistant position within the group, reporting principally to the Economic Team but also working with the other two teams in PECG. The job-holder will be enthusiastic about promoting UK interests in the United States and passionate about helping the UK understand the US. The successful candidate will ideally have a personal interest in economic, financial and political issues.
Job Posting Date: March 05, 2013
Job Closing Date: March 17, 2013
- Provide administrative support to the various teams in PECG, including: managing contact databases; planning events; scheduling meetings; booking and managing travel; administering expenses; preparing initial drafts of letters.
- Manage and coordinate programs for London based visitors to Washington D.C. and provide support around IMF/World Bank Annual Meetings.
- Conduct research for the economic team including relevant background for meetings and reporting requests.
- Track economic news, events and developments on specific research topics; brief team members and London stakeholders on results.
- Monitoring and profiling expenditure by the economics team.
- Attend seminars and conferences and report back on key points.
- Take notes at hearings/briefings on Capitol Hill.
- Plan and arrange the Embassy’s series of lunches on policy issues of embassy wide interest.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills, together with an ability to work well with others on a wide range of issues.
- Excellent phone and internet research skills, including ability to think creatively, problem solve, and seek out answers proactively.
- Clear and concise oral and written skills.
- Flexibility in a team setting, with an enthusiastic approach to work.
- Ability to work independently, and efficiently complete administrative tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field such as policy/politics, or international relations or 1 or more years of professional work experience.
- Interest in economic policy.
- Knowledge or interest in US and UK policy strengths and priorities.
- Strong IT skills
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A visa holders*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk . All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance. *A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas. The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package. The target salary for this position is $29,000 annualized. Salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment.
How To Apply
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted in a .doc (Word) file format by 17 March 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line of your email “PECG Research Admin and Research Assistant.”. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis as required. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.