The American Academy of Diplomacy is dedicated to strengthening the resources and tools America brings to managing its diplomatic challenges, and accomplishes this mission through targeted outreach programs, distinguished awards, and publications. Through these activities, the Academy fosters an understanding of the importance of diplomacy to serving our nation and increasing the effectiveness of America’s engagement with the world. The Academy is a membership organization of former senior ambassadors and career diplomats who represent a unique wealth of talent and experience in the practice of American diplomacy.
The Academy seeks an individual interested in the inner workings of a nonprofit organization, as well as American foreign policy and the practice of diplomacy. Because the Academy is small, the internships offer students a unique opportunity to become an integral part of the organization’s core team.
In all of this, the intern will be able to attend meetings and events with some of the most distinguished retired American ambassadors. A student or recent graduate with interest in the Foreign Service will find this internship particularly rewarding. The intern will work directly with the Program Director, from 12 to 20 hours a week depending on availability. The candidate must be able to commit to the entire fall term (September to December). Applicants who cannot do so will not be considered.
This is an unpaid position; academic credit availability reliant upon school requirements.
- Communication with Academy members;
- Event and meeting planning and implementation;
- Preparation of written summaries of hearings/board meetings/events;
- Updating content for the Academy website and newsletter;
- Managing contact lists; and,
- General office support.
- Interest in nonprofit work, and ideally American foreign policy/service;
- Detail-oriented, e.g. able to send out member emails without guidance, detailed note-taking at board and executive meetings;
- Willingness to work independently as well as part of a small team;
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Highly proficient in Gmail and Google Apps preferred;
- At least a basic knowledge of Adobe Dreamweaver and HTML preferred;
- Social media and tech savvy; previous experience with FB and Twitter posting for an organization or company preferred; and,
- Friendly, outgoing, and good sense of humor
How to apply
Please e-mail a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Academy internship application" in the subject line. No phone calls, please, and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline: Applications are due August 25, 2014.