Founded in 1970 by Samuel Huntington and Warren Demian Manshel, and now published by the Slate Group, a division of Graham Holdings Company, in Washington, D.C., Foreign Policy is the premier, award-winning magazine of global politics, economics, and ideas. Our mission is to explain how the world works-in particular, how the process of globalization is reshaping nations, institutions, cultures, and, more fundamentally, our daily lives.
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20036
This job is part code and part design. We’re looking for someone who truly loves web-native storytelling, has an eye for beautiful things, and the tech skills to combine the two.
This person will bring FP’s magazine features to life on the web, as well as enhancing our longform and multimedia storytelling. You’ll also work with our web team on producing data visualizations and interactive maps. If you’ve got the ability and interest, we’d love for you to help build tools to make our newsroom work smarter. In this role, you are part of the newsroom, which is to say, you are a journalist and storyteller first. You’ll help make editorial decisions about how stories are best displayed online, what works digitally, and what doesn’t -- all the while ensuring that digital presentations function across multiple platforms. You’ll also lead development on our signature packages, like the Fragile States Index. You’ll leverage photography, illustrations, graphics, data visualizations, and video to create innovative and engaging visual packages on daily and weekly deadlines. You’ll work with art directors and web editors to design individual stories, charts, and other content as needed.
- Bachelor's degree
- 3-5 years previous experience in a newsroom, or a storytelling role in a nonprofit or academic organization
- Extensive experience using Adobe Creative Suite
- The ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, arriving at design solutions with fellow designers and non-designers alike
- A demonstrated understanding of user experience
- An interest in making data visually interesting and understandable
Nice to Have:
- Experience with native mobile and responsive design
- Experience developing for WordPress
- Experience in statistics, data analysis, or cartography
- Experience designing for online presentation
- Experience with best practices for web design
- Experience with photo editing for news stories
- Writing/editing experience
- Video editing/motion graphics experience
- A background in politics or international affairs
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, link to portfolio site, and a Github profile if you've got one. Send your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by September 30, 2014. No phone calls, please.