Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is dedicated to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers.
YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a community of more than 15,000 around the globe who work in all fields of international affairs and across industry, government, and civil society. Established in 2004, and headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York, YPFP is supported by approximately 150 volunteer staff members. The experience staff gain at YPFP lasts a lifetime and catapults careers.
About the Programs Department:
The Programs Department designs, leads, and oversees YPFP’s extensive member programming opportunities including Discussion Groups, Leadership Modules, the Refugee Assistance Program (RAP), JobLink Services, and exclusive member events.
About the Events Team:
YPFP is recognized for holding lectures, roundtables, workshops and intimate gatherings with renowned foreign policy leaders. The diversity of YPFP’s programming is unparalleled, and the organization held over 450 events globally in 2015. Our past speakers include the Hon. Michèle Flournoy, Adm. Michael Mullen, former governor Jon Huntsman, Amb. Susan Rice, Amb. Thomas Pickering, Bob Woodward, Joseph Stiglitz, John Hamre, Steve Coll, and Ian Bremmer.
The Events Manager serves as a member of the YPFP Programming Department’s staff and is responsible for planning, organizing and overseeing a wide range of programming events. The Events Manager works with the programming team in order to identify potential speakers and themes for future YPFP events. The incumbent reports to the Director of Events and Programs Leadership and keeps them informed of event challenges, successes, and updates.
The successful candidate will display a clear and demonstrated capacity for innovation, creativity, and an ability to work both within a team environment and independently. The successful candidate is organized, detail-oriented, skilled in communication, and above all else, shows a passion for maintaining YPFP’s reputation in the foreign policy community as an organization with unrivaled programming offerings.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work independently and in teams of 2-4 Events Managers to develop and execute events through the complete event lifecycle. This includes:
- Brainstorming ideas for future events;
- Coordinating speaker invitations;
- Writing event descriptions for the YPFP website and other communications;
- Working with the Venue Manager to determine the location of the event;
- Working with the Communications team to market the event; and
- Responding to questions from YPFP members.
- Update the Director of Events by:
- Completing weekly status reports; and
- Updating event information on the Programming Department’s shared files.
- Attend bi-weekly Events team meetings as scheduled (every other Sunday).
- Attend at least two events per month, and ideally one event per week.
- Execute and act as the point of contact (POC) on an average of one event per month.
- Meet all deadlines set by the Director of Events.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Based in Washington, D.C.
- Must possess creativity, active energy, and an eagerness to create a wide variety of programming events.
- Ability to work successfully as part of the greater YPFP team while also working independently to meet Programming Department goals and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with high level officials in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute programming events.
- Ability to attend designated number of events for the calendar year.
- Must be able to use all relevant Google Apps (shared documents, sites, forms, etc.); training is available.
- Availability to attend bi-monthly YPFP All-Staff meetings occurring on the last Monday of every other month.
- Highly responsive to email and available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00pm) and weekends.
- This position requires a minimum commitment of (5) hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances.
To apply, please send resume and statement of interest to email@example.com.