YPFP operates several focused series designed to provide a platform for more nuanced discussion of key foreign policy issues. Read More
Big Data and Analytics: Leadership Incubator
At no time in history have technology and data had such a profound impact across sectors, geographies, and cultures. “Big data” is here to stay, and it can revolutionize how leaders understand, analyze, and solve critical global challenges from global business, to international development, to national security. But big data is no panacea. Nor is it widely understood: many young professionals lack the knowledge and skills to understand and apply data-‐ and technology-‐centric solutions to complex problems. YPFP believes that future foreign policy leaders must be equipped with a broad and granular understanding of data, the technologies that enable its utilization, and the systemization of these two assets to drive global progress.
Big data, data analytics, and associated technologies are increasingly vital to addressing complex problems across sectors and disciplines. But many young professionals lack the knowledge and skills to understand and apply data-‐ and technology-‐centric solutions to these problems. Through this intensive and immersive learning module YPFP will provide you with the knowledge, skills, exposure and relationships to understand and use big data as you continue on your journey to becoming a foreign policy leader of the future.
Through a series of intense and immersive events, participants will gain:
- Learn the fundamentals of statistics and data management
- Gain an awareness and understanding of data architecture, storage, structuring, and visualization
- Build a conceptual foundation to understand the strategic implications of big data and associated technologies
- Obtain fluency in the language and terminology used in data analytics
- Gain basic ability to manage, interpret, and manipulate data
- Acquire skills to know what data platforms to use in different situations
- Interact with leading thinkers in the big data and analytics field
- Discover the leading organizations and players in big data and analytics
- Foster connections with industry leaders and peers
- Develop lasting relationships with a select group of young professionals
**The module will begin with orientation on October 4 where the exact dates and place of each session will be announced. Please note that all sessions will take place between 6:30-8:30pm, downtown Washington, DC.
List of Sessions:
Data Foundations: Statistics 101
Data Structure: Building Big Data
Data Utilization: Supporting Scientific Thinking
How Data Drives Value
Data, Privacy & Civil Liberties: The Future of Disclosure
Big Data for the Next Generation
Data Skeptics: Questions Data Sets & Sourcing
The Future of Big Data and Foreign Policy
Applications for this course will be open September 19 until 11:59pm on October 2, 2013.
The cost of this module is $45. That cost covers all sessions, including demos of data platforms; a reading and resources packet; and a module reception.