A full time position is available for an Economic Attaché at the British Embassy in Brussels.
We are looking for a professional and motivated individual to join our busy Political, Economic and Public Diplomacy Team.
This is a challenging, varied and fast-moving job which requires a significant degree of independent working, contact-making and flexibility. The job-holder will need to deal confidently and fluently with technical issues facing the Belgian economy (including Belgium’s role in the Eurozone, wage indexation, bond markets, and regulation of financial services). Showing an understanding of the relationship between Belgium’s internal economic and political policies and its reputation externally will be important too. The job-holder will be expected to accompany the Ambassador to meetings with Belgian senior officials and Ministers, and to network confidently on his or her own.
- Provide regular high quality, analysis on key aspects of the Belgian economy. This will include analysis of the impact on the Belgian economy of: Eurozone issues, global economic trends, multilateral and domestic economic governance measures; budgetary policy, competition policy, trade and investment policy, labour; market and social policy.
- Lobby regularly on key economic issues and report back as required; lead on the coordination of the Embassy’s work on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership.
- Help drive the Embassy’s Commercial diplomacy effort, and, in particular, lead on the energy and climate change/environment and international development portfolios.
- Participate in the Embassy’s efforts to promote the UK’s EU reform agenda, liaising with colleagues to develop a strategic approach of engagement.
The job-holder will be expected to contribute to the Embassy’s broader political reporting as required and to work closely with colleagues in the UK Permanent Representation to the EU, and the British Embassies in The Hague and Luxembourg. Another important element of the job will be working with colleagues in UK Trade and Investment, providing policy input to support their commercial work with companies.
This role would provide valuable experience for someone seeking longer-term employment in, for example, the European Commission or in Foreign Ministries. Previous incumbents have gone on to positions with the European Commission, UK Treasury and Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs or with leading private sector
The Embassy is a friendly and inclusive Mission, committed to professional development. There is a strong emphasis on learning and development to ensure that all staff are equipped to achieve their objectives both for their present and future employment.
- Previous experience of economic and domestic public policy analysis.
- Good interpersonal and influencing skills to be able to develop and maintain a network of key contacts (both in Belgium and the UK)
- Ability to work and deliver results under pressure.
- Demonstrated initiative, problem solving and judgement skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Excellent English, both spoken and the ability to draft clear written communications.
- Operational French (reading and listening)
- Demonstrated ability in the following competences.
- Delivering at Pace.
- Leading and Communicating.
- Collaborating and Partnering.
- Seeing the Big Picture.
- Knowledge of Belgian political and economic system.
- Knowledge of the UK political and economic developments.
- Familiarity with EU processes and institutions, or willingness to learn.
- Operational Dutch (reading and listening).
How to apply:
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Belgium. The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits. All applicants should submit their CV (in English, up to 3 pages), Covering Letter (in English, no more than 1 page of A4, Arial11) setting out their motivation for the role and how they meet the above criteria.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com and the email subject line must be formatted as follows: BEL246.
The closing date for applications is the 9 th June 2015.
Kindly note that your application will only be considered if:
- Your application has been sent within the time frame requested.
- Your application documents are fully in English.
- Your applications documents are in .pdf format.