Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, non-profit organization with 10,000+ selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York. YPFP is supported by around 150 volunteer staff members worldwide, for whom the leadership and management of a global NGO supplements their daytime career or graduate studies.
The Director of Social Media is responsible for designing and executing YPFP’s social media strategy and overseeing the social media team. The Director leads the social media team for YPFP and communicates and coordinates with all YPFP social media staff around the world. YPFP globally operates over 45 social media accounts, and the central team in DC directly manages the primary Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts, with a combined audience of over 200,000 likes and followers. The Director participates fully in the day-to-day work of the team while working to improve our processes, grow our audience, coordinate globally and otherwise develop and execute an effective social media strategy. In addition to traditional social media, the Social Media Team Division also manages the YPFP phone app.
This position requires approximately 5-10 hours per week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role. In 2016, it is envisioned that this person will supervise a team of around 3-5 staff.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop an effective social media engagement and growth strategy, and lead a team of 3-5 staff in implementing it on a daily basis.
- Communicate and coordinate with YPFP social media managers around the world.
- Utilize social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and other emerging media platforms to engage existing members and social media participants as well as to attract new members.
- Contribute to the team effort of promoting YPFP events and publications through our social media channels.
- Effectively stimulate and engagement on the YPFP phone app, and oversee its user database and backend.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Avid user of popular social media platforms with knowledge of trends, key words, etc.
- Experience in developing and implementing a social media strategy for an organization or company desired, but not required
- Excellent time-management skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to meet deadlines, and attention to detail.
- Ability to keep a small team motivated and working effectively and efficiently, while keeping your eye on a bigger picture of growth and innovation.
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues paying members of YPFP and located in the greater Washington D.C. region. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
To begin the application process please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the heading Director Social Media Application.