Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, non-profit organization with 10,000+ selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York. YPFP is supported by around 150 volunteer staff members worldwide, for whom the leadership and management of a global NGO supplements their daytime career or graduate studies.
The Director of Public Relations leads a small team of PR specialists in crafting and executing YPFP’s public and media relations strategy. YPFP is a global NGO with robust programming, high level speakers, regular published content and an extensive network, so requires an equally ambitious PR strategy to raise our profile among DC media and the foreign policy press. Among the priorities for the PR team in the coming year are the creation of a database of media contacts, an internal database of experts and expertise who can field foreign policy enquiries on behalf of our organization, and building out other resources for the media. The team also actively pitches stories to news organizations, produces press alerts and press releases and seeks out new opportunities to project our brand to the media, key stakeholders, prospective partners and the wider foreign policy community. The Director fully participates in the work of the team, but also leads, directs and represents this team inside the YPFP staff community.
This position requires approximately 5-10 hours per week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role. In 2016, it is envisioned that this person will supervise a team of around 3-5 staff.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Revise and continue to build on the YPFP public relations strategy.
- Supervise the public relations team, motivate and support PR specialists and hold them accountable for the successful execution of their work.
- Participate in media outreach, production of press alerts and press releases, database building and other PR work.
- Field enquiries from the press and communicate with third parties alongside the VP of Communications and Thought Leadership.
- Represent the interests of the PR team inside the Communications Department and throughout the YPFP staff community.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Proven ability to lead a team, effectively motivate and support staff and show initiative in following-through on projects.
- Excellent communication skills with constant awareness of successful brand projection and risk mitigation when speaking with the press.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly, with an eye for capturing attention and maximizing impact.
- Some prior experience working with the media preferred. Media contacts and familiarity with the DC and foreign policy media landscapes a plus.
- Ability to work independently to identify new PR opportunities.
- A strong sense of organization, particularly in building and maintain a database of press contacts and internal experts.
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues paying members of YPFP and located in the greater Washington D.C. region. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
To begin the application process please send a cover letter, your resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the heading Director Public Relations Application.