YPFP believes there is an urgent need for NextGen voices to immediately and positively influence today’s critical foreign policy challenges. Our events are carefully designed to assist our members in the ideation process and to help them determine where to focus their efforts for maximum impact.
YPFP’s Programs Department designs, leads, and oversees YPFP’s extensive member programming opportunities including the Refugee Assistance Program (RAP), YPFP's annual Affairs of State Gala and Fundraiser, and exclusive member events.
YPFP is recognized for holding lectures, roundtables, workshops and intimate gatherings with renowned foreign policy leaders. Our past speakers include the Hon. Michèle Flournoy, Adm. Michael Mullen, former governor Jon Huntsman, Amb. Susan Rice, Amb. Thomas Pickering, Bob Woodward, Joseph Stiglitz, John Hamre, Steve Coll, and Ian Bremmer.
The Director of Events is responsible for overseeing Event Managers and handling programming to deliver quality events to engage YPFP members. The position reports directly to the Vice President of Programs and the Managing Director of Programs and entails coordinating across YPFP departments. The successful candidate will possess strong management and communication skills, motivate and mentor Event Managers, a high aptitude for complex organizational problem solving and outstanding attention to detail.
Assist Programs Leadership with triannual (4 months) event calendar:
- Conceptualize event themes, topics, speakers, structures, partnerships, etc.
- Incorporate YPFP products and services across departments into programming
- Organize VIP, high-level and special events
Manage day-to-day Events Team’s operations:
- Conduct weekly staff meetings, administer events calendar, collect metrics and streamline processes
- Solicit ideas on event topics, speakers and format from Event Managers
- Assign each Event Manager to spearhead developing and executing an event
Assist Programs Leadership with recruiting Event Managers:
- Select an Event Manager to be Deputy Director of Events
- Train Event Managers in event coordination, collecting metrics, using Google Apps and Podio
- Support Event Managers' professional development
- Based in Washington, D.C.
- Professional experience in event planning and/or international affairs is preferred
- Excellent management and communication skills, demonstrated leadership experience in managing a team and a track record of personal initiative
- Use Google Apps (docs, sheets, slides, forms, etc.) and Podio; training is available
- Available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00 pm) and weekends
- A minimum commitment of 16 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues-paying members of YPFP and located in the greater Washington, DC area. The position is unpaid and part-time. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
Send a one-page cover letter and a one-page resume in a PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line "Director of Events, Programs Application."