YPFP’s mission is to create a community where dynamic, diverse leaders from all sectors work together to solve critical global challenges. We are a nonpartisan international affairs organization that engages students and young professionals ages 20-35 from across government, non-profit, and private sectors. Since our creation in 2004, we have forged a global community of over 20,000 people from 80 countries. Our members come from a wide array of backgrounds, experiences, and ideological perspectives, and we are united by a desire to confront global challenges through robust analysis, critical inquiry, and fact-based debate.
About Communications Department
The Communications Department is comprised of volunteer staff who manage YPFP’s graphic design, public relations, and social media teams. The Department addresses both day-to-day externally facing communication needs of the organization as well as long-term, global strategy.
YPFP is looking for an energetic and motivated leader to oversee a dynamic team of communications staff volunteers: the heart and soul of our organization! Our digital visibility and online engagement will be critical as YPFP embarks on a new strategy to bring more fresh perspectives into foreign policy and build a more robust global community. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in the intersection of communications and foreign policy and is eager to develop their management skills. YPFP staff volunteers are entrepreneurial self-starters who work well in a fast-paced team environment and take pride in getting things done! The Director of Communications manages YPFP’s day-to-day communications operations and also works closely with YPFP’s President and Chief of Staff to manage YPFP’s global brand.
- Develop and execute strategic vision for YPFP's global communications activities
- Oversee volunteer staff and work directly with a deputy and team directors to ensure functions such as social media, marketing materials production, and public relations are supported (this includes filling in crucial day-to-day functions in the absence of any given support staff)
- Monitor daily operations and report on progress toward communications objectives
- Collaborate with senior staff volunteers across all departments to ensure that YPFP events, initiatives, and general membership benefits are promoted widely.
Desirable Skills and Attributes
- Excellent project and team management skills.
- Previous experience managing volunteers is a plus.
- Passion for creating a community of peers interested in international relations.
- Attention to detail to ensure quality products are delivered on various outlets.
- Positive, can-do attitude with an openness to effectively serve other teams.
- Professional experience managing press relations, social media, digital marketing, graphic design, and/or branding is highly desired.
- Experience and proficiency with Hootsuite, Adobe creative suites, and Canva a plus.
- Experience with Google Analytics and Google Adwords a plus.
- Ability to attend regular evening senior staff meetings.
- Ability to lead Communications team meetings (minimum of one per month).
Eligibility & Requirements
- Based in Washington, DC.
- This is a 1 year volunteer opportunity and includes a 90-day observation period
- Ability to commit 10+ hours per week
To Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and a statement of interest (500 words or less).
Please note that all YPFP staff positions are unpaid and on a volunteer basis. You must become a dues-paying YPFP member to accept a volunteer position.