Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is seeking a Director, External Engagement. The Director, External Engagement will report directly to the President, YPFP working closely with the Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff. The Director will be an important member of YPFP’s senior leadership and strategy team.
The Director, External Engagement’s primary responsibility is to grow YPFP’s brand and position the organization for large financial growth through the development of strategic partnerships and a broader individual and corporate fundraising strategy. The Director, External Engagement is responsible for the internal process implementation and external market strategy behind YPFP’s partner initiatives.
This role is vital to YPFP's mission and requires an entrepreneurial, proactive leader with high energy and a proven track record in development and business strategy.
The Director, External Engagement is responsible for both the strategy and execution of YPFP’s brand expansion and plays a key role in expanding its support from individuals, organizations and corporations that align with the YPFP mission. The Director, External Engagement will act as YPFP’s eyes and ears out in the community. The Director will meet donors and prospects and is responsible for identifying and vetting strategic partners that strengthen YPFP’s brand.
Design the External Partnership Strategy for 2016-2017: Coordinate with YPFP Executive Team to identify industry targets, existing organizational contacts, available funding, and preferred approaches
Oversee fundraising efforts for YPFP’s Leadership Incubator Programs: Conducts market research on prospects, including individuals, corporations and other potential sources of funds for YPFP’s Leadership Incubator Program. Develops and executes on priority target capture strategy; distills prospect outreach into action items for the Board of Directors, YPFP Executive Staff
Build a Robust Constituency around the YPFP Brand: Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with individual, corporate and organizational donors while identifying new prospects.
- Participate in weekly/bi-weekly strategy sessions with YPFP Executive Team
- Update President, YPFP on outreach/development status and any challenges needing Executive Staff support
- Liaise with other YPFP functional areas to develop a nuanced understanding of YPFP’s strategic objectives, member demographics and operations
Eligibility & Requirements:
- Current, dues-paying YPFP Young Professionals member
- Must be able to dedicate at least 14-20 hours per week to YPFP; commitment of 1 year to the role
- Must have prior external engagement or business development experience; project/program management experience a plus
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to speak with confidence in public settings
- Self-motivated team player with a high aptitude for business strategy and creative energy
- Prior experience in nonprofit management, business development, brand management or global engagement (international business experience preferred)
- Outstanding ability to market to a wide audience and clearly articulate YPFP’s value proposition to prospects
- Experience in fundraising in a nonprofit environment preferred
How to apply
To apply for this position, please contact email@example.com with a letter of interest and resume. Please include the position title in the subject line.