YPFP believes there is an urgent need for NextGen voices to immediately and positively influence today’s critical foreign policy challenges. Our events are carefully designed to assist our members in the ideation process and to help them determine where to focus their efforts for maximum impact.
YPFP’s Programs Department designs, leads, and oversees YPFP’s extensive member programming opportunities including the Refugee Assistance Program (RAP), YPFP's annual Affairs of State Gala and Fundraiser, and exclusive member events.
YPFP is recognized for holding lectures, roundtables, workshops and intimate gatherings with renowned foreign policy leaders. Our past speakers include the Hon. Michèle Flournoy, Adm. Michael Mullen, former governor Jon Huntsman, Amb. Susan Rice, Amb. Thomas Pickering, Bob Woodward, Joseph Stiglitz, John Hamre, Steve Coll, and Ian Bremmer.
The Managing Director of Programs is responsible for overseeing event operations. The position reports directly to the Vice President of Programs who focuses on organizational strategy, innovating programming and cross-departmental collaboration. The Managing Director serves as second-in-command of the entire department, working in tandem with the Vice President of Programs to oversee the department's operations and projects. The successful candidate will possess strong strategic planning, management, and communication skill and ability to motivate and lead staff while remaining attentive to detail.
Assist Programs Leadership with triannual (4 months) event calendar:
- Administer department-wide calendar of events
- Conceptualize event themes, topics, speakers, structures, partnerships, etc.
- Incorporate YPFP products and services across departments into programming
- Organize VIP, high-level and special events
Oversee Programs Department's Operations:
- Monitor department's events and capacity and track department's metrics
- Streamline operations and cross-departmental collaboration processes
- Spearhead initiatives assigned by Vice President of Programs
- Coordinate with Director and Deputy-Director of Events on planning and executing events
- Assist with speaker and venue outreach
- Solicit ideas and feedback from department staff
Assist Programs Leadership with recruiting staff:
- Review applications and interview candidates with Vice President of Programs
- Train department staff in event coordination, collecting metrics, using Google Apps and Podio
- Support department staffs' professional development
- Based in Washington, D.C.
- Professional experience in event programming and/or international affairs is preferred
- Excellent strategic planning, management, and communication skills, demonstrated leadership experience in coordinating tasks across teams and a track record of personal initiative
- Use Google Apps (docs, sheets, slides, forms, etc.) and Podio; training is available
- Available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00 pm) and weekends
- A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues-paying members of YPFP and located in the greater Washington, DC area. The position is unpaid and part-time. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
Send a one-page cover letter and a one-page resume in a PDF file to email@example.com, with the subject line "Managing Director, Programs Application."