The New Media Advocacy Project (N-Map) advances human rights and social justice by using video and other media to strengthen legal advocacy in courts, legislatures, and communities. Our work uses storytelling and clear, high quality, short-form media to strengthen human rights litigation and advocacy, and to educate and empower communities. Our work addresses the need for greater participation in the legal and political process by those who have been directly impacted by abuse and injustice by creating new ways for victims to be heard in the halls of power—and by giving non-lawyers resources to better understand law and access justice. In the last six years, N-Map has grown into a professional global organization, making a real impact on a wide array of individual human rights cases, and on the human rights movement more generally. We work on behalf of courageous clients in areas such unlawful detention, gender-based violence, forced evictions, prison conditions, race discrimination, criminal justice, and more, and the media we produce is used in courtrooms and legislative offices, within our clients' communities, and more broadly in the public. We develop high quality, tactically sophisticated media advocacy projects that can be used in the courtroom, in legislative offices, within our clients' communities, and more broadly in the public.
Location - New York, NY
N-Map is looking for a Program Associate to support our international team. The Program Associate will provide editing, communications, administrative and operational support for the organization, as well as assist directly with N-Map's media projects.
The Program Associate will play a crucial role in assisting Project Managers with the management of our complex domestic and international projects, including: coordinating video shoots; editing videos; conducting research on a variety of human rights, technology, and legal issues; helping to manage communications within international coalitions of project partners, and more.
The Program Associate will also work with other staff members with many aspects of non-profit management, including operations, fundraising, and communications.
This position may require domestic and international travel to assist with projects.
Provide project support for Project Managers and Producers, including:
- Drafting internal communications
- Coordinating project schedules
- Serving as a production assistant for field projects
- Setting up equipment rentals and purchasing gear
- Editing rough assemblies and rough cuts
- Assisting with audio mixing and color correction
- Conducting research to support projects
- Meticulously planning domestic and international travel
Taking notes and participating in the creative and strategic development of projects
- Manage N-Map's social media presence across platforms, including:
- Solicit and edit content from project managers and producers
- Create original content to creatively promote our projects
- Manage engagement and online voice
Assist Grant Writer with additional communications projects, blog posts, and campaigns
- Provide general administrative support for the Operations Manager, including:
- Filing and record keeping
- Managing supplies, storage, and office organization
- General administrative support
- BA/BS or equivalent degree and 1- 2 years of professional experience, particularly in a non-profit, startup, or social enterprise
- Knowledge of video production and editing workflows
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
Must be detail oriented, well organized, and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines
- Familiarity with research and MS Office applications, including Excel and PowerPoint
- A demonstrated commitment to human rights and public interest work
- Familiarity with Spanish or French is a huge plus, but not required
- Knowledge of computer programming or graphic design is a plus, but not required
How to Apply
Please send a resume and statement of interest in one attachment to Danielle Kraus at email@example.com by December 31, 2016.
Applicants with graphic design and film backgrounds are encouraged to send portfolios.
Deadline - December 31, 2016