West Point’s Center for the Study of Civil-Military Operations (CSCMO) is seeking a dedicated individual to serve as an administrative coordinator and liaison for its new Washington office. This position is unpaid and is aimed towards those seeking or having received a Master Degree. The candidate(s) selected for this position will have the opportunity to work with top officials of the US State Department, US Institute for Peace, DoD and the United States Military Academy.
CSCMO, headquartered at The Unites States Military Academy, West Point, was established in 2012. Its mission is to develop and train junior officers (Cadets) and rotating officers (faculty) in the importance and value of Civil-Military Operations and cooperation. CSCMO is contributing to a transformational change in the way that the US Government achieves its national security objectives by building trans-governmental connections, developing military leaders who can integrate a better understanding of Civil-Military Operations (CMO) in kinetic and non- kinetic situations, and by advocating for increased CMO Education in the premiere educational institutions for the DoD and DoS.
Mission: “To develop all West Point leaders so that they are prepared to employ an understanding of Civil-Military Operations (CMO) within the framework of the broad spectrum of challenges they will face in military service; to support transformational changes to professional military education across the Department of Defense and partnering organizations; and to establish West Point as the wellspring of professional military education in the realm of CMO.”
7 Missions of CMO: (candidates should highlight experience in these fields, if applicable)
- Foreign Humanitarian Assistance (FHA)
- Population and Resource Control
- Nation Assistance Operations
- Military Civil Action
- Emergency Services
- Civil Administration
- Domestic Support Operations
Location - Washington, DC. Metro Accessible.
- Coordinate and provide administrative support (appointments, reimbursements, travel logistics, correspondence, supply orders, etc.) to CSCMO faculty.
- Provide flexible administrative support that may include evenings and weekend events.
- Work with CSCMO Academic Director and other relevant staff to track CSCMO expenses.
- Act as the initial source of contact for the CSCMO, fielding or redirecting questions and providing informational guidance.
- Provide CSCMO Academic Director with research support for projects related to international relations and U.S. foreign policy, including web searches, book and article summaries, editorial assistance, and literature searches.
- Attend and take notes from lectures, seminars, and other policy events related to CMO.
- Maintain familiarity with current issues in global policy. Build professional relationships with foreign policy practitioners, scholars, and analysts.
- Update and maintain the webpages for CSCMO.
- Assist in creation and upkeep of marketing.
- Provide strategy and planning assistance for growth of program in DC.
- Opportunities for publishing and independent thought leadership.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Job Qualifications - Required Qualifications
- Interest, experience, or willingness to engage with Civil-Military Operations principals.
- Must have strong and polished interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Creative, strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Experience in managing budgets, training, supervising and assessing future personnel
- Bachelor degree. Strongly preferred Master Degree or candidacy for such.
- Experience working with military of defense issues should be highlighted, if applicable.
- Must be highly organized and able to work well with others
- Event planning; curriculum planning and implementation are all benefits.
- Flexible; possessing the ability to wear different “hats” on short notice.
How to Apply
Please provide a polished resume and a (less than) 750 word statement of interest/cover letter highlighting your related experience, interest, and experience providing administrative support. Applications will be reviewed by Phillip Zabriskie (recruiter for this position) at Phillip.Zabriskie AT ypfp.org. Successful candidates be passed along to the Center’s leadership team for approval. The email subject line should include “CSCMO JOB.” This position will likely be filled in the next 20 days. Applicants will coordinate with The Center to set appropriate, flexible work hours.
This application is a rolling application. Candidates are encouraged to apply by Friday, April 1st to be considered in the spring/summer selection period. This posting will close when one or more accomplished candidates is selected.