The EUROPEAN ENVIRONMENTAL BUREAU, a federation of more than 140 environmental citizens’ organisations, has a vacancy for a Communications Officer on Nature and Agriculture.
We are looking for a committed communications expert with a passion for the environment and a strong ability to support focused campaigns, to work in our Communications Unit, in close cooperation with the EU Policy Officers on nature conservation and agriculture policy.
- Supporting focused campaigns on nature conservation and agriculture policy, developing and implementing communication strategies and material including:
- Drafting, editing and delivering press releases and other relevant materials for national and international media;
- Proofreading and editing documents written by non-native speakers;
- Coordinating publications: layout, contact with printers, and distribution (including supervision of outsourced work). This includes contributing to the EEB’s quarterly newsletter Metamorphosis;
- Developing and deploying relevant social media tools;
- Communicating campaign messages, engaging public opinion and raising awareness relying on relevant social media tools;
- Advising the Policy Officers on publicity and outreach opportunities;
- Occasionally, organising press conferences and inviting media to EEB events;
- Developing ideas on how to improve campaign visibility at European and national level;
- Updating the EEB website with specific campaigning material.
- Maintaining good relations with press contacts in and beyond Brussels and updating the media database;
- Monitoring press coverage;
- Liaising with the EEB members to coordinate national level media work;
- Cooperating with other networks, e.g. the Green 10 network of environmental NGOs;
- Contributing to further develop the EEB’s communication strategy.
- Have a relevant academic degree (additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of this);
- Have at least two years of work experience in communications, preferably but not necessarily, with NGOs, including analysis and formulation of policy;
- A high level of written and spoken English (native speaker or equivalent) is essential; knowledge of other European languages is a potential asset;
- Proven writing and editorial skills;
- Experience in campaigning or in supporting campaigns;
- Experience in public outreach and mobilising the public (eg setting up of petitions);
- Experience in drafting and revising texts and press releases under time pressure;
- Experience with work on publications, including use of outside agencies for design;
- Experience with using social media for communications/campaigning purposes;
- Proactive approach to external communication including ability to develop new campaign tools;
- Interest in and/or good knowledge of the EU and environmental matters, in particular agriculture policies (Common Agriculture Policy) and or/nature conservation (Birds and Habitats Directives);
- Competence with Word, Adobe tools, and web-based content management systems;
- Flexibility (we expect and offer flexibility regarding work schedules);
- Prepared and able to work in a dynamic working environment, sometimes under pressure;
- Ability to work in team;
- Ability to work on different topics and prioritise work.
How to apply:
Please send your application (covering letter, CV and filled in questionnaire) to: Isabel de Jesus, EEB Finance and Personnel Manager. Only applications with all 3 documents will be taken into account.
E-mail email@example.com.Deadline for Application: 16 March 2015
Due to limited staff resources and numbers of CVs received, only shortlisted candidates will receive a response.