Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe's principal environmental group campaigning for more sustainable transport in the EU. Transport & Environment’s mission is to promote, at EU and global level, a transport policy based on the principles of sustainable development. Transport policy should minimise harmful impacts on the environment and health, maximise efficiency of resources, including energy and land, and guarantee safety and sufficient access for all.
T&E is currently seeking a highly-motivated, dynamic and results-driven policy officer in the area of clean fuels.
The position requires strategic thinking, political savvy, and highly-developed networking, advocacy and communication skills combined with the ability to understand complex economic, scientific and political arguments and challenges. The successful candidate should have a good understanding of the EU climate and energy policies and their impacts on the transport sector. Knowledge of EU fuels policies is a plus.
Candidates should show they are able to:
- Contributing to shaping and executing a campaign to design policies contributing to the decarbonisation of the transport sector through policies promoting low-carbon technologies in transport. The policy officer will work in T&E’s clean fuels team, but should be able to work independently too.
- Analysing and dissecting complex policy issues from a variety of sources including scientific studies, European Commission reports and EU legal texts; and using these to develop a detailed understanding of and appealing messaging of the issues from an environmental, economy and societal perspective;
- Developing position papers and advocacy and campaigning materials based upon robust evidence and argumentation in order to achieve T&E’s objectives;
- Building a network of NGO, academic, industry and government contacts and working with these in coalition, including participating in studies, report launches, etc.
- Advocating T&E’s position to policymakers, politicians, business leaders, journalists, civil society actors and our international network;
- Assisting in project management tasks, drafting reports and coordination with project partners.
The successful candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Highly motivated on environmental issues and committed to the aims of Transport & Environment;
- A minimum of three years relevant professional experience working on climate or energy issues, preferably in the EU policy;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and an ability to write English fluently, accurately and concisely;
- The confidence to think and act with initiative, to engage and influence policymakers, industry representatives and other stakeholders at the highest level;
- Excellent knowledge of EU institutions and EU decision-making procedures;
- Strong interpersonal and team-working skills and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines;
- The ability to speak at least one other EU language fluently;
How to apply:
To apply, please complete this application form and send it together with a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria.
The email subject line should state Application Policy Officer – Clean Fuels.
Candidates may NOT apply for both this position and that of the Policy officer – Freight transport.
The closing date for applications is 5 April 2015. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible.