Deputy Communications Director, NY
Staff Opening: DEPUTY COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR, NEW YORK
Please note that all YPFP New York staff positions are unpaid and on a volunteer basis.
YPFP is a nonpartisan network of over 20,000 emerging global leaders who energize foreign policy discussions by making diverse, cross-sector NextGen voices more informed and influential. We promote innovation in international affairs by inspiring, training, and connecting the next generation of global leaders. YPFP believes that today’s most pressing global challenges can most effectively be addressed by nonpartisan, multinational solutions.
The Deputy Communications Director is responsible for the assisting the the Director with the strategic direction of the Communications Team and with the day-to-day implementation of the Communications Team’s management and operations, to ensure that all tasks are assigned to communications team members, support is given where needed, and follow-through happens to ensure task completion.
This position requires approximately 10 hours a week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role. The Deputy Communications Director reports directly to the Communications Director of the New York chapter.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Communications Director to refine and tweak the overarching communications strategy and planning.
- Assist Director with implementation of strategy on the day-to-day level, working with Communications Team staff to execute plans.
- Support Communications Team with event promotion and/or event coverage
- Collaborate with Communications Director to prepare updates for All Staff meetings.
- Other responsibilities may be necessary to deliver on YPFP’s strategic global and local objectives.
- Ability to work remotely and on a flexible schedule is important, as YPFP NY does not have a physical office, and communications output must often be aligned with the timing of events, promotions, coverage, etc.
- Based in the New York area
- Ideally 1-2 years of communications and social media experience
- Understanding of event marketing, promotional planning, and social media
- Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative, and proven ability to help lead a volunteer team
- Outstanding interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills
- A demonstrable interest in foreign affairs / international relations
- Responsive to email and available for events and meetings on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00 pm) and weekends
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues-paying members of YPFP and located in the greater New York area. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
This role includes a three-month probationary period, at which stage continued involvement with the position will be reviewed and continued involvement
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to the Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject and heading: Deputy Communications Director application.