The Council on Foreign Relations: Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 4,700+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy.
Foreign Affairs: Foreign Affairs is the leading publication on foreign policy both in readers and influence. Across its main properties—including the flagship magazine, award-winning website, and iPad app—Foreign Affairs reaches a total monthly audience of more than 800,000. Foreign Affairs is also frequently ranked among the top ten most influential media outlets by independent research firms like Erdos & Morgan.
The Harold Pratt House, 58 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10065
The Associate Director is responsible for positioning and promoting CFR, with a primary focus on the media relations efforts for Foreign Affairs magazine and its website, ForeignAffairs.com.
- Develop and implement communications and media relations strategies for Foreign Affairs print and online content, including tracking impact and results.
- Write and edit press communications and marketing materials for Foreign Affairs and CFR.
- Coordinate marketing strategy meetings for each issue of Foreign Affairs, special sections, ebooks, and other products.
- Execute targeted press campaigns for print and web-only content.
- Leverage the profile and reach of Foreign Affairs authors and editorial staff by arranging broadcast and other press opportunities.
- Develop and implement social media outreach campaigns and oversee Foreign Affairs video content and series.
- Manage media at on-the-record events.
- Oversee and manage the Foreign Affairs newsletter for media, Foreign Affairs DIRECT.
- Support the Vice President with branding and messaging Foreign Affairs and CFR content.
- Minimum of 5+ years of related experience in media relations
- Excellent writing skills, and extensive experience writing news releases and copy editing, a must
- Proven knowledge of and interest in current U.S. foreign policy and international affairs
- Excellent communication and consensus-building skills
- Experience developing and implementing social media strategies
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel, and database management
- Candidates must have the ability and willingness to work flexible hours when necessary
- Degree in Communications, International Affairs, or related field
- Candidates must be flexible, proactive, organized, and able to function in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should email, fax, or mail a resume and cover letter to the Human Resources department at the below address. PLEASE INCLUDE THE POSITION NAME IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL. The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.