IOM has signed a convention with the Government of Belgium to plan and organise the assisted
voluntary return project REAB, aiming at the assistance to the voluntary return and reintegration of
asylum seekers, people under temporary protection and other alien groups in need of assistance.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Operations and Counselling Focal Point and having in
mind the potential migrants’ needs for return assistance, the incumbent will make a major
breakthrough to reach the largest public possible. While promoting dialogue and exchange of views,
she/he will provide counselling services to migrants, partner agencies and other institutions
concerned and organise voluntary return activities according to a selected number of countries of
origin. In particular, she/he will have the following duties and responsibilities, always keeping in mind
that her/his main objective is counselling of migrants for better voluntary return and reintegration
The responsibilities and accountabilities outlined below will be performed in Brussels IOM office and
Fedasil Return Unit in Brussels.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Ensuring appropriate counselling services to IOM partners network in Belgium through
various sources of information (IOM Brussels, IOM Headquarters, Service Areas Units and
Project Tracking Unit, IOM Missions in countries of origin where applicable, Embassies and
Consulates, Belgian governmental institutions, Belgian NGOs, Foreigners associations, etc.)
in order to facilitate access to the various return and reintegration schemes.
2. Providing counselling to potential candidates in Belgium on existing voluntary return projects
and, when applicable, on available reintegration opportunities in the countries of origin of the
3. Maintaining and promoting good working relations with embassies and consulates to collect
information and promote co-operation with a view to facilitate the issuance of travel
documents and/or visas.
4. Assist in establishing technical information on each country’s procedures and specifics (travel
documents, visas, consulate opening hours, etc.) to compile and update Country Information
Sheets to be posted on IOM website.
5. Ensuring regular contacts (telephone, fax, e-mail and visits) with IOM partners in Belgium.
6. Ensuring high visibility of IOM activities world-wide by providing information on IOM Service
Areas and programmes world-wide.
VOLUNTARY RETURN ACTIVITIES
7. Preparing and following up all the application files in the appropriate databases (MiMOSA
Web, AVRR Application Online and Reintegration Database)
8. Organizing and coordinating all pre-departure formalities, such as liaison with partners,
allowances, reception of travel documents, flight bookings, airport departure and assistance
of other IOM Missions at transit points and upon arrival.
9. Informing relevant services at IOM Headquarters and other IOM Missions on departures.
10. Compiling invoices for payment by the Accounts Department and for the Ministry of Social
11. Preparing statistics on registered AVR candidates, departures and no shows for the Statistics
12. Co-ordinate the re-integration assistance with IOM Missions in countries of origin and Social
Workers (assessment of the needs upon return; co-ordination of the investigation and the
tailoring of the re-integration programme with the Field Mission and the social workers).
13. Participate in joint monitoring missions on individual reintegration in selected countries of
14. Any translation that may be required in the framework of the AVRR/REAB programmes.
ANY OTHER TASKS AS MAY BE REQUIRED
a) Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings; b) Identifies and monitors
changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries; c)
Promotes continuous learning and contributes to colleagues’ learning; d) Writes and communicates
clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience; e) Plans work,
anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; f) Works effectively with people from
different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts; g) Contributes to a collegial team
environment; h) Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal
gender participation; i) Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
a)Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations; b)
Effectively coordinates actions with other
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education and Experience:
a) Completion of secondary school. Bachelor in, Social or Political Science, International Studies or
related field is an asset; b) Minimum four years of working experience, out of which at least 2 years of
operational experience in refugee and migration related issues; c) Good analytical skills for financial
data, strong sense of details and accuracy; d) High level of computer literacy, knowledge of database
applications. Knowledge of Amadeus reservation system is an asset.
Good knowledge of English, Albanian and Serbo-Croatian. Good knowledge of French and/or Dutch.
1. IOM encourages applications from qualified female applicants.
2.Post is subject to local recruitment.
Only persons holding a valid residence and work
permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
Share this page: