SHORT DESCRIPTION: The Office of Budget at HHS seeks a current federal employee as a detailee or current student as an intern to support activities related to discretionary public health and human services programs, and other activities as needed.
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The Office of Budget at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) provides health and human services policy analysis for the Executive Branch while helping to formulate and execute the government’s largest budget. The office maintains active communication with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and the Congress, responds to information requests in an accurate and timely manner, and works with these organizations to achieve the Department’s budget and policy priorities. The Budget Office also provides guidance and technical assistance to HHS operating divisions, reviews and analyzes policy proposals, promotes program integrity and other management priorities, and leads the resolution of issues arising from budget execution activities. This detail will offer the opportunity to interact with high level officials and gain hands-on experience in the budget and policymaking process.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES: The Office of Budget is in search of a detailee/student to serve as an analyst in the Division of Discretionary Programs. The Division is made up of two branches, the Public Health and Social Services Branch and the Sciences and Regulatory Affairs Branch. As a member of a small, dynamic team, the detailee/student will be expected to adapt to a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. The detailee/student will have the unique opportunity to gain a broad understanding of federal budgeting and policymaking. Work assignments will include:
- Supporting the hearing process for the FY 2016 President's Budget and responding to questions as appropriate;
- Supporting the development of the FY 2017 President’s Budget as it pertains to the discretionary public health and social services programs through review of policy and program proposals for cost and operational implications;
- Conducting analyses and providing recommendations on budgetary and policy issues, which will include developing estimates, analyzing budget projections, drafting performance budget submissions, and reviewing appropriations language;
- Coordinating division- and office-wide projects; and
- Responding to urgent requests from HHS leadership, OMB, Congress, and other key stakeholders on issues concerning HHS public health and human services programs.
EXPERIENCE: The detailee/student should:
- Be a self-starter capable of working with minimal supervision and be willing to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment; and
- Have strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical and written/oral communication skills.
- A background in public administration, public health, or health policy is strongly preferred.
TIME PERIOD: The detailee/student should be able to join the Office of Budget in Washington, D.C. as soon as possible, but no later than March 2, 2015 for a minimum of 4 months.
POINT OF CONTACT: Please send a resume to Elizabeth Fischer Laurie, Program Analyst, Division of Discretionary Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and Caitlyn Miller, Director, Division of Discretionary Programs, at email@example.com. Questions can be directed to Elizabeth or Caitlyn at the email addresses provided.