The Center for Global Development is dedicated to reducing global poverty and inequality through policy-oriented research and active engagement on development issues with the policy community and the public. A principal focus of the Center's work will be policies of the United States and other industrial countries that affect development prospects in poor countries.
The Center's research will assess the impact on poor people of globalization and of the policies of industrial countries, developing countries and multilateral institutions. The Center will seek to identify alternative policies that will promote equitable growth and participatory development in low-income and transitional economies, and, in collaboration with civil society and private sector groups, seek to translate policy ideas into policy reforms. The Center will also partner with other institutions in efforts to improve public understanding in industrial countries of the economic, political, and strategic benefits of promoting improved living standards and governance in developing countries.
The Center for Global Development, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, DC seeks a Program Coordinator to support the work with the director of global health policy. The successful candidate will have experience with research in economics and/or global health policy with strong analytical, communications, and managerial skills.
- Handle management tasks of the global health policy program, such as overseeing execution of deliverables across grants and managing grant reporting in collaboration with various internal CGD teams
- Assist with research/conduct data and literature searches for ongoing CGD global health initiatives and projects. Areas of focus include: aid effectiveness in global health, value for money of global health funders, and priority-setting in health for low- and middle-income countries.
- Provide support with all aspects of convening high-level working groups, roundtables, and private meetings, including identification and supervision of co-authors and collaborators, scheduling interviews, doing background research, and drafting background papers.
- Develop presentations, communications materials, and data visualizations.
- Prepare tables, write blogs/briefs/working papers and make graphs to present research results.
- Attend meetings/conferences related to research priorities.
- Provide other research, writing, and editing support for reports and documents.
- Perform other duties as necessary in support of senior research staff.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field required.
- 1-2 years professional experience in the global health field is preferred but not required.
- Coursework on social science research methods along with solid research and data analysis skills with a focus on policy are preferred.
- Outstanding communications and writing skills in English.
- Essential software skills: Advanced MS PowerPoint and MS Word. MS Excel to make publication quality graphics.
- Familiarity and interest in global health.
- Confidence and can-do attitude. Ability to advance projects with hands-off supervision.
- Comfort working independently, with small groups, and with senior staff.
- Good humor and collegiality essential.
How to apply
Applicants for vacancy should send a short cover letter, a CV, and a short writing sample email@example.com. Please use the title "Program Coordinator – Global Health" in all e-mail correspondences. No phone calls please.