The Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung is a non-profit political foundation affiliated with the German Green Party. We act as a catalyst for green visions and projects, a think tank for policy reform, and an international network. Hbs seeks to advance democracy and human rights, protect the environment and climate, and promote the peaceful resolution of conflicts. We place particular emphasis on gender democracy, meaning social emancipation and equal rights for women and LGBTI communities. We work in over 60 countries worldwide, and currently maintain 31 international offices. Our Washington, DC office is a 501(c)(3) organization that promotes exchanges in our program areas through informational programs, study tours and visitor programs; special events, publications meetings, workshops and conferences; and public seminars and training programs.
For more information, please visit us at www.us.boell.org.
Location: Washington, DC (occassional international travel is required)
The Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung North America is welcoming applications for the position of Program Director for its Foreign and Security Policy Program. The position should be filled by January 1st, 2016 at the latest. The Foreign & Security Policy program concentrates on global security issues relevant for Germany/Europe and the United States. The Program has a special regional focus on Eastern Europe/Russia and the broader Middle East.
The Program Director will help design and implement the program activities. Specifically, the Program Director will
- organize, coordinate and implement the Foreign and Security Policy program, which is a component of the foundation’s regional EU/North America program
- initiate, plan and organize events, conferences, workshops and visitor programs
- assume principal responsibility for the program’s website publications, including regular updates, preparation of commentaries - and reports, and other information
- manage funds in close cooperation with the Financial Manager, including budget planning, expense monitoring and project evaluation
- establish and maintain liaisons with relevant HBF offices, US and European institutions, and international organizations
- undertake literature review, policy research, and writing assignments
- Demonstrated knowledge of and working experience in the realm of German and/or European as well as U.S. foreign and security policy
- Oral and written fluency in English and German
- Proven excellent research, writing and editing skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Creative, independent and reliable work attitude
- Experience in the management of publicly funded projects would be an asset
- Interest in an international team-oriented working environment
- Gender awareness and sensitivity
- A genuine interest in the values and mission of the Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung
- Experience with MS Office 2007 and social media
- Applicants must have a U.S. work permit
How to Apply
Please send your application to the attention of Mackenzie Nelson via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample of no more than 3 pages, in English or German
Deadline: November 6, 2015