Human Rights Watch is a nonprofit, nongovernmental human rights organization made up of roughly 400 staff members around the globe. Its staff consists of human rights professionals including country experts, lawyers, journalists, and academics of diverse backgrounds and nationalities. Established in 1978, Human Rights Watch is known for its accurate fact-finding, impartial reporting, effective use of media, and targeted advocacy, often in partnership with local human rights groups. Each year, Human Rights Watch publishes more than 100 reports and briefings on human rights conditions in some 90 countries, generating extensive coverage in local and international media. With the leverage this brings, Human Rights Watch meets with governments, the United Nations, regional groups like the African Union and the European Union, financial institutions, and corporations to press for changes in policy and practice that promote human rights and justice around the world.
Location – 350 Fifth Avenue, 34th floor, New York, NY
The Program Office of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a Coordinator to provide administrative assistance and support to the team. The Program Office oversees the organization’s research, reporting, and various other work. This position reports to the Deputy Executive Director for Program based in New York and also supports other members of the Program Office in New York and elsewhere.
- Providing administrative support including scheduling, making travel arrangements, taking minutes at meetings, responding to inquiries, and processing departmental finances;
- Planning and preparing for events and meetings and conducting follow-up;
- Coordinating online information sharing and administering existing systems including Program resource pages on HRW’s intranet;
- Coordinating all logistics in pulling together contributions from 100+ people for the annual World Report each autumn;
- Implementing the report pipeline tracking system (involving regular weekly communications with all of HRW’s 16 regional and thematic programs);
- Assisting with preparations and logistics for HRW’s all-staff retreat in NYC;
- Supporting the logistics for the training sessions and orientation training for programmatic staff;
- Creating and maintaining extensive filing and archiving systems;
- Formatting, proofreading, and distributing documents;
- Assisting with the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of interns; and
- Carrying out other duties as required.
- A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social sciences or a related field is required.
2 to 3 years of relevant work experience is desirable.
- Prior office/administration experience and exceptional organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within HRW and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
- Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally is required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions and complete tasks in a timely manner is required.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
- Excellent writing and editing skills are required; proofreading experience is desirable.
- Experience with information management and online systems, especially Microsoft SharePoint, is highly desirable.
- Strong interest in international human rights is preferred.
How to Apply
Please apply online at https://careers-hrw.icims.com/jobs/1210/login?mobile=false&width=990&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240.
Deadline – N/A