The aviation, aerospace, and defense industry’s most trusted brands have moved as one force. A multi-channel service provider, decision engine and marketplace, with deep databases and integrated workflow tools that support action, the Aviation Week Network brings you the power of breadth and the strength of depth to prevail in a challenging and fast-paced industry. Our staff of more than 50 editors and analysts around the world delivers an unsurpassed portfolio of information products and services for all sectors of the aerospace and defense industry. From award winning publications to online analytical services, the Aviation Week Network provides intelligence that informs and enables the global aerospace and defense industry and provides professionals with a strategic business advantage.
The Aviation Week Network is a division of Penton.
Location: Arlington, VA
Aviation Week, the world’s top aerospace reporting and analysis firm, has an opening for a part-time research assistant to support the defense intelligence and data team. Research topics will include international military aircraft fleets, developments in regional military markets and maintenance costs of local aircraft. The geographic focus of this position is Africa and South Asia. Writing opportunities will include summaries of defense market news, drafting program/system descriptions, and possibly contributing to newsletters, websites and custom research papers.
Compensation: $12/hour Frequency: 20 hours per week, exact schedule is flexible
Duration: March 1 until at least May 31.
The position may be extended at 40 hours per week from June 1 to August 31.
- Ideal candidate is a graduate student focusing in Strategic/Security Studies.
- Familiarity with military aircraft programs is required.
- Pluses include:
- Business-level proficiency in a foreign language, particularly Hindi, French or Russian
- Area knowledge of South Asia and/or Sub-Saharan Africa
- Knowledge of military maintenance procedures
- Previous experience tracking military fleets, programs or maintenance spending
- Experience with databases - Microsoft Access, SQL, PL/SQL, Oracle, etc.
How to Apply
- Cover letter (1 pg. max) explaining one’s experience and interest in the position
- Resume (1-2 pg.)
- Writing sample of 1-5 pg. on a defense/strategic/security topic. Can be an excerpt from a longer work; if so, please preface with a paragraph or less explaining the context of the excerpt.
Please send applications to: email@example.com
Please type “APPLICATION:” at the beginning of the subject line.