Vox.com is a user’s guide to the news produced by the beat reporters and subject-issue experts who know it best. And we’re looking for a staff writer for our foreign section, who can help us expand our coverage of foreign affairs and the big ideas and global trends driving them.
Location – Washington DC
The ideal candidate is someone with interest and expertise in covering international security and defense. That would mean looking not just at what the Pentagon is doing in Iraq and Syria, but also Russian activities in Eastern Europe and how the growing tensions over the South and East China Seas are roiling nations throughout Asia.
This is a high level writing job in the Vox.com newsroom and will involve a wide variety of short and long posts.
If you have…
- A strong desire to report on and write about international security and defense, as well as an understanding of how and why countries choose to use force -- and what happens once they do
- An equally strong ability to report on how Donald Trump, and his administration’s policies, are shaping the international arena
- Experience covering the Pentagon as an institution and knowing how to build sources there and in key US military commands
- An analytical approach to major stories and a passion for digging into everything from fine-grain policy issues to big-picture international relations theory
- At least three years of foreign affairs or military writing experience. Time overseas and proficiency in a language other than English would be a major plus.
- The ability to explain complex ideas and intricate political dynamics in clear, straightforward language
- Ideas for new and creative ways to approach the conventional modes of foreign-affairs writing and an interest in experimenting with new story formats, and
- Strong reporting skills, including knowledge of which sources to turn to when working on a story — any story
… you may be the writer we’re looking for!
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, a cover letter, and three clips (links in your cover letter, or in the same document as your cover letter).
In your cover letter, include three ideas for foreign stories that you think deserved coverage but didn’t get much attention in American media, and explain how you would have covered them at Vox.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Deadline – N/A