The UN Foundation, a public charity, was created in 1998 with entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner’s historic $1 billion gift to support UN causes and activities. The UN Foundation is an advocate for the UN and a platform for connecting people, ideas, and resources to help the United Nations solve global problems. We build partnerships, grow constituencies, mobilize resources and advocate policy changes to support the UN’s work for individual and global progress. The UN Foundation’s work - focused on select global problems - is decreasing child mortality, improving disaster relief, protecting diverse cultures and environments, creating a clean energy future, empowering women and girls, and improving U.S.-UN relations. For more information, visit www.unfoundation.org.
The Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD) was established to help stakeholders across countries and sectors fully harness the data revolution for sustainable development. This growing network now comprises 250 partner organizations. The GPSDD Secretariat, within which this role is based, supports the network by convening and connecting partners to catalyse solutions to development issues and leverage the power of data to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
This position uniquely combines interests and experience of international relations, public policy, journalism, communications and public relations — all for the purpose of strengthening the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data.
Working directly with GPSDD’s Communications Director and GPSDD’s senior staff, the Communications Officer will develop, deliver and maintain GPSDD’s strategic communications plans to support the Partnership’s press outreach, policy documents and media content. The Communications Officer will also coordinate and interface with other divisions of the Foundation during public events.
The Communications Officer, GPSDD, plays a critical role in meeting strategic communications goals through writing, digital content production, media relations, member communications, marketing, events, and outreach, working closely with GPSDD’s Communications Director, leadership, digital communications colleagues, and the broader UN Foundation Public Affairs team.
Location – New York, NY
- Identify, research and develop media relationships with U.S. and international based journalists, producers and bloggers, to advocate GPSDD’s work and objectives.
- Build and maintain a database of U.S. and international media contacts for GPSDD to engage and collaborate with.
- Write compelling blog posts, press releases and newsletter content, tailored for specific audiences including government, the private sector and civil society.
- Deliver media production projects with external vendors including web designers, photographers, videographers and podcasters.
- Maintain the news and documentation sections of GPSDD’s website, and become the in-house authority on GPSDD’s site content.
- Proactively monitor and maintain GPSDD’s social media channels with news copy and digital content, delivered in the right tone and in tune with the international news cycle or GPSDD announcements and events.
- Research and collate background material for GPSDD’s policy communications, including fact-checking documents and third party sources.
- Copy-edit GPSDD’s public facing documents – reports, official correspondence and newsletters.
- Support GPSDD’s engagement plans, ensuring key policy messages reach stakeholders in government, the private sector and civil society.
- Monitor GPSDD communication plans to ensure consistency in messaging across policy announcements and partnership communications
- Assist Senior Staff at GPSDD public events to represent GPSDD’s core messages and communications.
- Master's degree in public policy, communications, journalism, or international affairs, plus five years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with communicating policy based information to media outlets, plus a confident approach to pitching news stories to journalists, producers and bloggers.
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills, with a strong interest in visual design and what makes a good website for experts and the general public.
- Self-starter able to manage multiple media production projects, including managing budgets with external vendors.
- Creativity and enthusiasm for data for social good and data science and the ability to translate this into simple infographics, and social media.
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Team player, problem solver, relationship-builder.
- Sense of humor; highly organized, delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness for occasional domestic and international travel.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- International Experience or experience of working for a multilateral institution
- Experience using Drupal based Content Management Systems and making simple back-end changes to a Drupal 8 based website.
- Content production skills including videography and photography with simple edits.
How to Apply
Please apply online: https://careers-unfoundation.icims.com/jobs/1517/communications-officer%2c-gpsdd/job.
Deadline – N/A