Women Deliver is a leading global advocacy organization. We build capacity, forge partnerships, create networks, develop messages and catalyze actions that spark political commitment and investment in the health, rights, and wellbeing of girls and women throughout the world. We bring together diverse voices and interests to share solutions and drive progress particularly in gender equality and maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Location – Washington DC
The Director will proactively grow, oversee and lead Women Deliver’s youth portfolio as an advocate and spokesperson for meaningful youth engagement. Given the importance of the award-winning women Deliver Young Leaders Program, the Director will be expected to grow and effectively represent the Young Leaders Program. The Director will also support the overall achievement of Women Deliver’s work and mission.
As a member of the organization’s senior management team, the Director will bring exceptional leadership and strategic abilities, strong understanding of gender equality and meaningful youth engagement within the global development sector, and a deep sense of respect for the power of young people to advance the health, rights and wellbeing of girls and women. The Director will display excellent emotional intelligence and will have demonstrated leadership experience, which will be used to skillfully lead the organization’s youth portfolio. The Director will work closely with the Senior Manager, Youth to oversee grant-funded programs, and mentor the youth team. This position reports to the COO, and will work closely with the Directors of Policy and Advocacy, Communications, and External Relations as well as the finance team and CEO to ensure coordination and complementarity across programs and achieve the organization’s mission.
- Aligned with Women Deliver’s mandate within the senior management team, define and lead Women Deliver’s strategy and vision for advocacy related to youth including the Young Leaders Program, and more normative work around youth engagement and on specific topics such as adolescent health.
- Oversee implementation of Women Deliver’s youth work.
- Represent Women Deliver in international fora, together with the Women Deliver Young Leaders. This includes but is not limited to external relations with key stakeholders (including UN entities, NGOs, private sector, nonprofits, foundations, youth-related coalitions, and young people), and representation in media, key events, and strategic partnerships at the global and regional level.
- Proactively identify new opportunities, key external events, and priority issues in order to enhance Women Deliver’s role as a leading advocate for young people’s engagement and leadership.
- Enhance Women Deliver’s ability to monitor, evaluate and communicate the impact of our advocacy for meaningful youth engagement, to optimize results.
- In close collaboration with the Senior Manager, Youth, steer and execute on day-to-day program implementation so that Women Deliver’s youth program addresses current issues in the global youth engagement space, delivers on grant requirements, and is aligned with Women Deliver’s overall work.
- In collaboration with the Director, External Relations, initiates and fosters relationships with a diverse donor community to secure funding.
- Oversee, manage and mentor a growing team of professionals currently including 3 FTEs, interns, consultants and vendors.
- Ten or more years of cumulative work experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Strong understanding of and connections in the field of youth engagement, global development and/or gender equality, a must; knowledge of sexual and reproductive health, a plus.
- Strong understanding of advocacy, particularly at the global level.
- Proven communication, interpersonal, and written and presentation skills.
- Track record of successful fundraising.
- Experience with results-based program design and grant management, including budget implementation, donor reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to respectfully and diplomatically engage with diverse groups and discuss sensitive topics.
- Must be an experienced manager capable of providing guidance, coaching, and feedback to staff.
- Experience working in a developing country context strongly preferred.
- A truly collaborative personality with the ability to work cross functionally and articulate a point of view with a hands-on, positive, can-do attitude.
- Comfort in working across time zones using video technology as a communications tool.
- Passion for Women Deliver’s mission.
- Intermediate proficiency in French or Spanish, a plus.
- Master’s degree or equivalent.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (up to 40%)
How to Apply
To apply please send a cover letter, CV, and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Deadline – June 1, 2017