Founded in 1919 by the progressive business leader Edward Filene, The Century Foundation is a think tank that pursues its mission by conducting timely, nonpartisan research and policy analysis that informs citizens, guides policymakers, and reshapes what government does for the better.
TCF focuses particularly on four basic challenges facing the United States: persistent economic inequality combined with the shift to American households of financial risks previously borne by employers and government; improving access to and the quality of the nation’s K–12 schools and system of higher education; the problems facing the retirement security and health care systems; and restoring America’s international credibility as an effective and cooperative leader in responding to global security and economic dangers.
TCF is based in New York, with an office in Washington, D.C. Its fellows come from academia, journalism, and public service, but share a commitment to the abiding belief in the power of ideas.
Location – One Whitehall St., Fifteenth Floor, New York, NY 10004
The Editorial Associate will work closely with TCF staff and fellows to help prepare TCF content for the digital world, in all of our policy areas. The ideal applicant will have a voracious appetite for reading public policy work in a variety of areas, an excellent sense of story structure, and a keen eye for detail. The Editorial Associate will edit everything from short pieces of commentary to full-length reports in policy areas from K–12 and higher education, to labor organizing and workplace fairness, to health care and social insurance, to civil rights and social justice, and more. TCF needs someone who can help make this content as readable, appealing, and error-free as possible.
The Editorial Associate will work on multiple pieces a day, and will help track multiple short-term and long-range projects on an ongoing basis. TCF needs someone who can help writers hone their arguments and clearly convey their ideas—and do so in a way that's accessible to TCF's multiple audiences.
- Line edit, copy edit, and/or proofread multiple pieces a week, ranging from 1,000-word commentary pieces to 20,000-word reports.
- Work with policy and communications teams on tracking content pieces through TCF's process, from idea generation to final product.
- Work closely with fellows and policy associates to ensure their ideas come through clearly in both headlines and text, for a variety of audiences.
- At least two years of experience in editing public policy, in journalism, or in a related field.
- Excellent editing, writing, and communication skills, including for both expert and popular audiences.
- A general understanding of public policy issues, design, and implementation.
- A facility for understanding complex data and optimum data visualization.
- Knowledge and familiarity with editing for the web, online publishing tools, and HTML.
- The ability to be a self-starter who also can work well in TCF's highly collaborative environment.
- A desire to work with progressive-minded people on ideas that matter.
- A relevant college degree is preferred but not required.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Deadline – N/A