The Ford Foundation was established by Edsel Ford in 1936, with an initial gift of $25,000. Today, we are stewards of a $12 billion endowment. Over the past 80 years our social justice mission and vision have guided us through transformations in the foundation, the communities we serve, and the world at large.
Across eight decades, our mission has been to reduce poverty and injustice, strengthen democratic values, promote international cooperation, and advance human achievement.
Location - 320 East 43rd Street, New York, NY 10017
The Communications Associate, reporting to the Director of Communications, supports a team of strategists in the development and execution of communications and media strategies that advance the foundation’s work and leadership around the world.
The Associate partners closely with the office of the President and the Office of Communication’s data, content, events, and multimedia teams to keep abreast of conversations generated by the institution and communications staff. The Associate also contributes to partnerships with program staff by planning and attending strategic workshops; drafting key messages and communications plans; tracking their timely and thoughtful implementation; and acting as a liaison to external communications consultants.
Working with the Director of Strategic Communications as part of the Office of Communication’s core strategy team, this position is engaged in the most sensitive and deadline-driven work of the department. The Associate must bring a proven ability to liaise with leaders from a variety of fields; think strategically around a wide variety of program and communications issues; write and present clearly and compellingly; understand the digital media landscape, and manage multiple projects in a complex and fast-paced environment. The Associate must have superior verbal and written skills with experience in media relations. The ideal candidate will be proficient in detailed Web and media research as well as the preparation of concise executive research summaries.
- Supports the strategic communications team by coordinating with the President’s office on high visibility engagements, monitoring media generated by the foundation’s and grantees’ work
- Acts as the first point of contact for routine engagement with the media
- Writes and edits media advisories and press releases and other key materials
- Conducts research on issues, trends, and events shaping the foundation’s work
- Proactively manages the strategy team’s core infrastructure, which includes a message bank, monthly media reports, and databases of key media contacts and priority audiences
- At least five years of experience in the field of communications, including experience in communications planning and strategy, message development and media relations
- Proven ability to write and present in a sophisticated, clear and persuasive manner
- Good judgment and requisite skills on social media engagement
- Appreciation of nuance and ability to quickly rasp complicated subjects and their implications; sound judgment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team work skills and time management skills; ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Close attention to detail and accuracy; personal initiative; reliability, flexibility and follow-up
- Proficiency using standard office software and demonstrated skill with web research tools
- Advanced degree
- Substantive experience with subjects related to the foundation’s work
- Experience with communications efforts targeted to audiences outside the U.S.
Alignment to the Mission and Culture of the Ford Foundation
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and core values of equity, fairness and diversity
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues
- Action-orientated and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and in teams
How to Apply
Please apply at https://www.fordfoundation.org/careers/job-application/?id=2464
Deadline – N/A