The World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) is a global non-profit organization working for a stronger and more effective United Nations. Established in 1946, we represent and coordinate a membership of over 100 United Nations Associations and their thousands of members. We work to build a better world by strengthening and improving the United Nations, through the engagement of people who share a global mindset and support international cooperation- global citizens. Our organization has offices at the United Nations in both New York and Geneva, and hosts interns in both locations. www.wfuna.org
With activities in the field of Peace and Disarmament, Sustainable Development, Human Rights, Youth Engagement and Education, WFUNA has a presence in New York, Geneva, and Seoul. As of April 2017, WFUNA’s Peace and Disarmament work relates to Peacebuilding, Peacekeeping, SDG16+, Youth, Peace and Security, Nuclear Disarmament, and Security Council Reform.
The Peace and Disarmament officer is responsible for coordinating, planning and implementing WFUNA’s activities and programs in the areas of Peace, Security, Disarmament and Conflict Prevention. He/she will be responsible to liaise and coordinate with program partners, fundraise for and develop WFUNA’s program in this thematic area, and develop educational materials and curriculum for training purposes.
Location – New York, NY
- Develop and/or adapt programs for prospective donors;
- Plan and implement programs according to approved program proposal and corresponding budget;
- Develop educational and training materials;
- Fundraise for activities and program;
- Attend relevant meetings related to WFUNA’s Peace and Security Work, and liaise with relevant civil society representatives, UN personnel, UN Missions and UN Associations as needed.
- Participate in meetings of relevant civil society networks and working groups, including the NGO Working Group on Security Council, and report back on discussions, outcomes and action items.
- Contribute to developing institutional policy and advocacy plans regarding UN approaches to issues of Peace, Security, Disarmament, and Conflict Prevention.
- Monitor & evaluate programs including reporting to donor;
- Frequent communication on activities and programs as well as thematic updates on WFUNA’s communication platforms;
- General staff duties related to WFUNA’s work;
- Other duties as assigned by the Secretary-General;
- Regular reporting on duties to the Secretary-General.
- 3 -5 years of relevant work experience, working for, with or around the UN on issues related to Peace and Disarmament.
- Undergraduate degree in International Relations, Political Science, or related field is required, postgraduate degree preferred.
- Ability to self-start, prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast- paced work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and technical skills.
- Applicant must be self-motivated, energetic, vigilant about staying on tasks and meeting deadlines
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of a foreign language is a plus.
- Experience with social media and website management is a plus.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV (max two-pages) to email@example.com.
Deadline – The deadline to apply is 5pm on Friday May 5th, 2017. We will not consider any applications that are received after this deadline.