Synergos is a global nonprofit organization that brings people together to solve complex problems of poverty. We work on issues such as health, nutrition, agriculture, and youth employment - creating opportunities for individuals and communities to thrive. Synergos creates and sustains collaborations among business, government, civil society, and marginalized communities around the world. Over the course of more than 25 years, Synergos has supported innovative initiatives in more than 30 countries and regions.
Synergos seeks a communications professional to help collect, produce, and share information, stories, and visual material about the work, accomplishments, and learning of Synergos and members of our global networks. In addition, s/he will provide general communications and administrative support as a member of our Development & Communications department.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent interviewer and writer, capable of producing material in a range of lengths and formats for diverse audiences and mediums. S/he will have the ability to synthesize and present complex information in ways that are understandable and compelling, documenting stories and learning that inspire reflection and action. S/he will also be capable of basic video production and photography, and of supervising contractors and vendors for more complex visual and multimedia projects.
Location – New York, NY
- Regular contact, including through phone interviews and other methods, with Synergos program units and key members of our global networks about their work, accomplishments, and learning
- Writing news and updates on the work, accomplishments, and learning of Synergos staff and members of our global networks for a variety of media, including our website, public and private social media, emails and newsletters, annual reports, brochures, speeches, presentations, and other forms/outlets
- Producing or helping produce more complex knowledge products such as case studies, journal articles, sourcebooks, white papers, and training materials
- Curating, repackaging, and sharing information from public sources for Synergos website and social media
- In-house video production and photography, and contracting and management of external photographers and videographers (for more complex projects), as well as designers, printers, and other vendors
- Producing or assisting in production and dissemination of communications materials and fundraising campaigns
- Day-to-day management of websites and social media, including regular updating and monitoring
- Helping develop and implement internal editorial, content management, and digital asset management strategies and procedures
- Assisting in creation of communications strategies, plans, and messages
- General administrative and communications support for special events
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least three to five years of professional experience in communications, journalism, or other activity with substantial responsibility for writing or reporting
- Excellent writer and editor in English with the ability to write compelling and insightful material for wide range of audiences, as well as ability to develop narratives and stories in multiple media
- Excellent interviewing skills - including the ability to connect and establish strong working relationships to people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Competency in video production and photography; advanced skills in video production or photography a plus
- Skill in content management, media outreach, PR, communications/social media analytics, events marketing, or fundraising a plus
- Strong competency in PowerPoint layouts; skill in graphic design, InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator a plus
- Well-organized with ability to prioritize multiple projects and demonstrated strong project management skills
- Team player with good interpersonal skills, able to work within and manage diverse groups
- Demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards and values consistent with those of Synergos
- Fluency in languages in addition to English - particularly Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic - a plus
- Work or educational experience in Africa, Asia, Latin American, or the Middle East, or in the fields of philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, journalism, or social development a plus
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and two samples of writing produced for different audiences to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in letter where you learned of this announcement.
Deadline – N/A