The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is a world-leading think tank on global security, political risk and military conflict with offices in London, Singapore, Manama and Washington DC. The IISS-Americas office in Washington, DC plays a highly active role as a base for the IISS in the US and elsewhere in the Americas, promoting the institute and its research to relevant constituencies, servicing the individual and corporate membership and initiating events for local audiences consistent with the IISS international reach.
Location – Washington DC
We seek to appoint a Special Assistant to the Executive Director, IISS-Americas, with concurrent duties as Conference and Events Administrator. This position requires travel to Singapore and Bahrain and involves outreach to, among others, high-level US government officials in the executive and legislative branches, corporate executives and the foreign policy expert community.
Tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Providing research support to the IISS-Americas Executive Director and other IISS-Americas research staff on topics including non-proliferation and missile defense.
- Delegate management and logistical support for the IISS’ major annual dialogues in Bahrain and Singapore, including liaising with US government officials, monitoring and tracking invitations in the IISS’ delegate management system, and providing onsite support.
- Assisting the IISS-Americas Managing Director with corporate and external relations.
- Coordinating the IISS-Americas Executive Director’s schedule, including speaking engagements and travel arrangements.
- Other administrative duties for the IISS-Americas Executive and Managing Directors, as required.
The successful applicant will have 1-2 years of experience and/or an advanced degree, with some combination of experience in high-level events planning and execution, research support, administrative support, and external relations. They will also demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills, discretion, and the ability to manage multiple complex tasks concurrently.
Applicants must have the ability to work in the US (the IISS-Americas is unfortunately unable to assist in procuring visas or entry permits).
How to Apply
Candidates should provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references citing Special Assistant to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 June 2017.
Deadline – June 2, 2017