Founded in 1922, the United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia is a Christian organization that works in partnership with higher education institutions in 14 countries and regions of Asia to express values such as justice, reconciliation and harmony between ethnic and religious communities, gender equity, care for the environment, and civil society. The United Board operates as a programmatic, grant-making and grant-seeking organization.
Location- New York, NY
The Development Officer is part of a Development team of 4, working across two offices (Hong Kong and New York), reporting directly to the Senior Manager for Development in the New York office. The Development team works to generate financial support for our mission and does so by cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donations from Foundations, alumni from our partner institutions in Asia, and other individuals.
The Development Officer supports the development goals of the United Board by providing excellent donor service through working directly with donors, processing and acknowledging donations using Raiser’s Edge database, plan donor events, providing support in prospect research, and writing stewardship reports to donors. This position requires an adept multi-tasker who can work under multiple deadlines, and with a variety of external and internal stakeholders. S/he will work closely with the executive team – including providing donor-related reports and correspondence by the President, Executive VP, and the VP for Finance & Administration.
This position is an excellent opportunity to be exposed to and help advance the work of international higher education in the Asian context.
- Gift entry and management of donor records in Raiser’s Edge, including generating and mailing gift acknowledgements and generating regular reports such as mailing lists and donation figures
- In collaboration with Development team, organize donor receptions and special outreach events involving Trustees, alumni, major donors, and/or other constituents in the U.S.
- Draft donor proposals and correspondence, prepare endowment reports, and manage stewardship calendar for US-based Foundations and individuals
- Provide in-depth research and strategy support for approaching Foundations and Individual donors – including working closely with Program officers and staying current on United Board program priorities
- Manage administration of endowment grant reports for donors and institutions, handling donor inquires by phone and mail, and coordinating with the Finance team to generate financial updates and reports on a regular basis.
- Provide support for web donations and work on a strategy to increase the online giving program
- Where needed, working with and organizing volunteers and interns
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-4 years of related experience
- Demonstrated experience with database management and data entry preferably using Raiser’s Edge;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with sensitivity to cultural differences and writing for different audiences;
- Attention to detail in preparing reports, processing financial and donor information, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Advanced proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and knowledge of cloud-based software such as Salesforce
- Professional and friendly demeanor
- Experience working with volunteer and leadership staff
- Work may include occasional travel and evening events
- Energetic and willing to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of fundraising activities
- Experience and interest in working with Asian cultures is a plus
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover-letter to email@example.com. (Subject: Development Officer Application). No phone calls please. Applications are accepted until the position is filled and priority will be given to applications received by Sept 18, 2015.
In your cover letter please address the following:
- What appeals to you about working at the United Board and why do you feel you will be a good fit?
- What interests you about fundraising and development?