Results for Development Institute (R4D) is a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C. R4D’s mission is to bridge the gap between policy analysis and implementation in key areas of social and economic development in low and middle income countries. Since its founding in 2007, R4D has built a track record of successfully implementing projects in health and transparency, and is starting additional lines of work in education and small business financing. R4D offers internships at its headquarters in Washington, D.C. The internship program is designed to provide students and recent graduates with an opportunity to gain knowledge and training about our programs and projects in developing countries as well as supporting areas of R4D.
Location - 1111 19th Street, N.W, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
R4D seeks Health Analytics Interns to support its health systems and financing practice in deriving high quality impact projections for bold innovations that aim to address important health problems in the developing world.
Responsibilities will encompass a range of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Developing models to make outcome projections of health innovation projects;
- Conducting secondary research that will include reading project related documents, consulting online resources, and talking to experts in the field;
- Conducting due diligence thoroughly and properly; and,
- Developing outcome summaries (i.e., summary tables and/or short narratives summarizing projected outcomes of health innovation projects);
The Intern will report directly to the Program Officer.
The candidate will gain the following educational knowledge and training by the end of the internship:
- Knowledge of global health issues;
- Training in developing models that can be used to project the anticipated impacts of health innovations in the developing world;
- Training in and knowledge of methodologies used to measure the impact of health projects such as cost-effectiveness, life years gained , and quality-adjusted life year (QALY)/ disability adjusted life year (DALY);
- Improved research and EXCEL skills; and,
- Access to R4D’s professional development resources.
Advanced 3rd or 4th year undergraduates; graduate students with 0-4 years of work experience; recent graduates with 0-4 years of work experience.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following qualifications:
- Intellectual curiosity, creativity, and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated experience and/or interest in global health or development issues;
- Strong research skills and comfort working with quantitative data;
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel;
- High level of organization and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and work effectively as part of a team member;
- Enthusiasm, energy, good judgment, and humor;
- Excellent communication skills.
Not required, but highly desirable qualifications include:
- Prior experience developing models to make projections;
- Demonstrated experience and/ or interest in the following global health issues: maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH), global mental health, sanitation, sexual and reproductive health, communicable diseases, non-communicable diseases and, scaling up health innovations.
Interns are expected to work between 20 – 40 hours a week starting mid-November 2015 until March 31, 2016, with some possibility of follow-on work. No travel is required.
Compensation/ Academic Credit:
R4D interns will receive a small stipend commensurate with experience and hours worked. Awarding academic credit for an internship is at the discretion of your college or university. We are happy to assist you with providing appropriate information at your school’s request. Interns are responsible for making all arrangements for earning credit prior to the commencement of their internship.
How to Apply:
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Include ‘JOB TITLE – Your Name’ in the Subject line. No telephone or e-mail inquiries please. Results for Development Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: D/V
Deadline - Open until filled. Interviews will begin in the first week of November 2015.