The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy (TIMEP), a nonpartisan and nonprofit organization, is dedicated to understanding and supporting Middle Eastern countries undergoing democratic transitions and committed to informing U.S. and international policymakers and the public of developments in these countries.
Location – Washington DC
The Research Assistant position will offer a one-year terminal contract to support and assist TIMEP’s research as it pertains to the regional political, social, economic, and security landscape and, particularly, implications for United States and international policy, with a particular focus on Egypt, Syria, Libya, and/or Iraq. The Research Assistant will contribute to the development of the institute’s research projects, written analysis, and other forms of knowledge production, with the opportunity to develop their own area of expertise, as well as provide support to ongoing research and advocacy initiatives.
- Covers and researches regional news thoroughly for stories relevant to TIMEP.
- Delivers Daily Research Brief to the research team and senior staff.
- Synthesizes information and inputs data for research projects.
- Assists in development of research reports.
- Conducts background research and prepares research documents for senior staff on assigned topics, including but not limited to literature review or event reporting.
- Produces or assists in producing several short research publications relevant to TIMEP’s work, such as briefings, statements, updates, or profiles.
- Assists with event development and execution.
- Assists with development initiatives (e.g. grant or project proposals and reporting).
- Assists with advocacy initiatives (e.g. meeting or briefing preparation).
- Completes necessary administrative tasks (e.g. activity reports, meeting memoranda, timesheets).
- Bachelor’s degree or 1 to 2 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree desirable.
- Proficient knowledge of subject matter in applicable portfolios.
- Knowledge of political climate in the Middle East.
- Knowledge of crafting policy analysis, long-form reporting, and short-form brief development.
- Ability to produce a high quality of written product.
- Ability conduct research with sufficient direction from senior staff.
- Experience working in a team environment and balancing priorities and deadlines.
- Knowledge of Google applications, advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
- Ability to adapt to changes in TIMEP and in external environment, manage competing demands, and change approach or method to best fit situations.
- Ability to manage and adapt to frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Arabic language skills are preferred.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line, “Research Assistant” by June 5th, 2017. Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please.
Deadline – June 5, 2017