The IISS was founded in the UK in 1958 with a focus on nuclear deterrence and arms control. Today, it is also renowned for its annual Military Balance assessment of countries' armed forces and for its high-powered security summits, including the Shangri-La Dialogue.
Location – Washington DC
The International Institute for Strategic Studies is currently seeking a volunteer intern to support the Institute’s Russia and Eurasia Programme, which is based at the IISS–Americas in Washington, DC.
The internship involves substantive research on the politics, foreign policies and political economy of Russia and the states of post-Soviet Eurasia, and US/EU policy toward them. Interns will be required to provide administrative and operational support, conduct research, and assist with event and media management for Russia and Eurasia Programme staff. Successful applicants can expect to gain direct exposure to the work and management of a leading international think tank.
- Be a current graduate student with a major or significant coursework in Russia/Eurasia area studies;
- Be proficient in Russian (particularly reading);
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale), or the equivalent from a non-US institution;
- Be eligible to work in the US. IISS–Americas cannot assist in any way with procuring visas or entry permits.
How to Apply
- Cover letter (please specify dates available and preference for full- or part-time);
- 3–5 page analytical writing sample demonstrating the applicant’s ability to conduct substantive, original research (may be a portion of a longer paper);
- Two letters of reference from faculty members and/or current or former employers.
- Applications will not be considered complete until all materials are received.
Managing Director, IISS–Americas
The International Institute for Strategic Studies
2121 K Street NW, Suite 801
Washington, DC 20037
To be considered for the Fall 2016 session, kindly submit a complete application no later than 26 August 2016.