C4ADS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to data-driven analysis and evidence-based reporting of conflict and security issues worldwide.
We utilize cutting-edge emerging technologies to manage, integrate, and analyze disparate data, from diverse languages, regions, and sources, including our own field research in conflict zones and fragile states. Beyond pure data collection and analysis, we seek to produce and disseminate compelling content to engage both international and local audiences on issues of conflict and security. In doing so, we fill a critical gap left by traditional public sector institutions and profit-driven contractors.
1100 H Street, NW, Suite 450
Washington, DC 20005
We are currently seeking applications for the position of East Africa Research Analyst to assist in the research of security issues in the region, namely in Somalia and South Sudan. The position offers analysts a unique opportunity to conduct actionable research in support of real-world outcomes.
This position is research heavy. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to:
- Learn and apply investigative and research methodologies
- Conduct detailed and structured research on trafficking dynamics in East Africa, especially in South Sudan and/or Somalia
- Maintain native or professional-level fluency and research experience in another language, preferably one spoken in East Africa
- Utilize Palantir, GIS, and other tools on a near-daily basis
- Work independently and with a strong work ethic
- Meet competing deadlines across short, medium, and long term timetables
We do not adhere to strict application criteria, but applicants should have an undergraduate degree at a minimum; however, applicants with a master's degree are strongly preferred. As an organization, we value:
- Overseas work and/or research experience, especially in East Africa. Preferred: experience overseeing and implementing independent research projects
- Demonstrated interest in critically examining illicit networks and/or East African conflict dynamics
- Strong GPA
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills
- Experience with (or natural aptitude for) and willingness to engage frequently with a range of technological platforms
- Genuine intellectual ambition
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to multitask
- Willingness to collaborate
- Must be eligible to work in the United States on a full-time basis
How to Apply
The application package should contain a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 page analytical writing sample. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include the position name in the subject of your email. Please direct all inquiries and applications to Satori Shimizu at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
We are committed to creating an exciting and rewarding work environment for our staff by providing equal opportunity for all positions of employment to qualified employees without regard to gender, race, color, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, military status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are fully committed to the objective of furthering equality of opportunity in recruiting, hiring, training, educating, and recognizing all personnel.