Spark MicroGrants is a young, rapidly scaling organization pioneering a new approach to international aid. Spark proactively reaches out to rural poor villages and helps community members to design, implement and manage their own social impact projects. Since July 2010 we have mobilized over 140 communities across Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo to manage social impact projects including schools, community farms, electricity lines and more.
Spark MicroGrants is seeking a full-time Development Officer based in New York, with three years of prior experience. This role will work closely with senior management to support fundraising efforts and gain hands on experience executing on matters from research, to scheduling meetings with partners, engaging in strategy sessions and human resource related tasks. She/he will also support on external and internal communication. The ideal candidate must have very strong interpersonal, writing and organizational skills. The right candidate must be motivated, flexible and passionate about the chance to make a difference in the early stages of a growing organization.
Spark team members are passionate about our vision for a world where everyone will live with dignity and determines their own positive future. We live by five Spark values that will enable us to achieve this vision:
1) Facilitators. We don’t impose; we enable others to generate impact.
2) Community-driven. We are motivated by what is best for the community.
3) Process-centered. The how of what we do is just as important as the what.
4) Authentic. Our vision and values live in everything we do.
5) Passionate. We are deeply committed to our work and love what we do!
Location – New York, NY
• Prospect and draft communications with potential and existing partners
• Prep leadership team for meetings
• Manage Executive Director’s schedule
• Manage Salesforce data and administration including: updating records, the creation of new reports, individual giving data, and donor trends and analytics
• Research prospective supporters and new opportunities
• Provides administrative support for campaigns, gift acknowledgement and donor recognition programs
• Support and manage effective strategies and giving opportunities to increase fundraising and increase individual donor database including special events, direct mail, online giving, donor identification and cultivation
• Draft and edit proposals: strategize on approach, track opportunities, manage timelines and provide follow-up
• Assist in creating and managing special events including marketing, budgeting, production, and acknowledgement
• Provide support to YP members and volunteers conducting third- party events
• Support on new human resource and operational initiatives
• Manage ad hoc tasks for the leadership team
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS MUST BE ABLE TO ANSWER YES TO ALL OF THE BELOW ITEMS:
1) Do you love organizing your to dos into lists and excel spreadsheets?
2) Do you maintain a high attention to detail -- from catching grammatical errors in a proposal to deciding what color is used in an event invitation?
3) Do you thrive in a passionate and entrepreneurial organization?
4) Are you resourceful and creative when developing solutions to organizational needs?
5) Can you work independently without waiting for external motivation to work hard?
6) Are you willing to play a supporting role at the beginning of your tenure and eager to take on more responsibility over time?
7) If given a list of 200 contacts can you determine how to bucket them based on themes?
8) Do you complete reports and achieve targets on time?
9) Would friends or colleagues describe you as passionate about global development?
10) Do you see the glass as half full?
How to Apply
Please email with your CV and a one page application stating why you want to work with Spark and what you will achieve in your first six months. In the subject line please use the format: ‘Development Officer, Your Full Name’. We look forward to hearing from you!
Deadline – N/A