The Stabilisation Network is a specialised C-VE consultancy that focuses on quick-impact bespoke programming which aims to reduce the scourge of violent extremism globally by working with local communities. TSN’s research-informed approach seeks to work with, by and through indigenous partners to better understand the socioeconomic, political, ideological, communal and personal antecedents, catalysts, drivers, and other factors associated with extremism and deliver responsive, flexible programming interventions that respond to the client’s strategic priorities.
Location: Washington, DC
The Stabilization Network Inc. (TSN), a Washington D.C.-based countering violent extremism (CVE) consultancy, is seeking a US-based Research Intern to assist in the production of analytical products focusing on the Middle East. Candidate will be expected to draw on their knowledge of politics, government, and social issues in the region, to aid in the production of analytical products for government clients.
- Provide research for analytical reports supporting TSN programs in the Middle East.
- Contribute to VEO (Violent Extremist Organization) network mapping, social media analysis, narrative and summary reports and TSN programming outputs, as well as thematic situational reports, and other products designed to capture and visualize data and attitudes related to VEOs.
- Brief company leadership on political and security trends in area of interest.
- Support regular and ad hoc monitoring and analysis of events in the region drawing on a range of open sources.
- Where required, aid in rapid translation between English and Arabic.
- Monitor impact of CVE products and strategies through extensive online research in both Arabic and English.
- Follow VEO online activity and track trends in VEO output and messaging.
- Design and produce independent research products at own initiative.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Middle East studies, Arabic language, political science, international affairs, history, sociology, or a related discipline.
- Strong and demonstrable research skills, particularly in Arabic language and in social media/open source.
- Fluent-level proficiency in Modern Standard Arabic and Arabic Dialect (Levantine, Egyptian, or Yemeni preferred). This may be tested during the interview process.
- Strong English language writing skills.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and proficiency in open source research.
- Recent graduate or current undergraduate with coursework in a field of study related to TSN’s research portfolio.
- Experience working on security and political issues related to the Middle East. Useful areas of expertise include: the Levant, especially Syria and Jordan; Yemen; North Africa.
- Detailed knowledge of political, governance and security dynamics related to the conflicts in Syria and Iraq.
- Knowledge of, and experience with geographic information systems (GIS) is a plus.
- Knowledge of, and experience with statistical analysis software (SPSS, STATA) is a plus.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to HR@stabilisation.org. Include “TSN Research Intern” in the subject line of your email. Please note availability in the body of your email.