The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy (TIMEP), a nonpartisan and nonprofit organization, is dedicated to understanding and supporting Middle Eastern countries undergoing democratic transitions and committed to informing U.S. and international policymakers and the public of developments in these countries.
Location – Washington DC
The Research Associate will be responsible for the development and management of research as it pertains to the regional political, social, economic, and security landscape and, particularly, implications for United States and international policy, with a focus on Egypt, Syria, Libya, and/or Iraq. The Research Associate will contribute to the development of research projects, written analysis, and other forms of knowledge production in their own area of expertise, as well as provide support to ongoing research initiatives.
- Contributes to TIMEP’s mission by participating in public events hosted by the institute or attending external events.
- Covers and researches regional news thoroughly for stories relevant to TIMEP.
- Delivers Daily Research Brief to the research team and senior staff.
- Produces or assists in producing short research publications relevant to the TIMEP’s work, such as briefings, statements, updates, or profiles.
- Coordinates larger projects or longer written work, such as reports or articles for the website or external publications, under the review of senior staff.
- Develops and maintains courteous and effective working relationships with clients, vendors and/or any other representatives of external organizations.
- Advises on and contributes to development initiatives (e.g. grant or project proposals and reporting).
- Advises on and contributes to advocacy initiatives (e.g. meeting or briefing preparation).
- Completes necessary administrative tasks (e.g. activity reports, meeting memoranda, timesheets).
- Directly supervises 1 to 3 interns in the Research Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Master’s degree or 4 to 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Mastery of subject matter in applicable portfolios.
- Expertise in and experience with political climate in the Middle East.
- Proficiency in crafting policy analysis, long-form reporting, and short-form brief development.
- Highest quality of written product, with experience publishing in policy analysis or research.
- Self-starter, able to initiate and conduct research with moderate direction input from senior staff.
- Understanding of ethical and security considerations in conducting research in the region.
- Knowledge of Google applications, advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
- Ability to adapt to changes in TIMEP and in external environment, manage competing demands, and change approach or method to best fit situations.
- Ability to manage and adapt to frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Competent in budget development and management.
- Arabic language skills are strongly preferred.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line, “Research Associate” by June 5th, 2017 . Cover letters should include a description of candidate’s area(s) of expertise. Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please.
Deadline – June 5, 2017