Founded by Ben Affleck, Eastern Congo Initiative (ECI) is the first U.S. based advocacy and grant-making initiative wholly focused on working with and for the people of eastern Congo. We envision a Democratic Republic of Congo vibrant with abundant, equitable opportunities for economic and social development, where a robust civil society can flourish. ECI believes that local, community-based approaches are essential to creating a sustainable and successful society in DRC.
We believe public and private partnerships, combined with advocacy that drives increased attention and public policy change, will create new opportunities for the Congolese people.
Location - Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
Job Description and Responsibilities
Advocacy & Policy Engagement
- Implement the organization’s advocacy strategy, developing annual tactical operating plans to promote improved economic, agricultural, security and democratic governance in DRC.
- Coordinate and manage US advocacy consultants, contribute field and grantee perspective to US advocacy engagement, and convene quarterly advocacy evaluation review.
- Expand and develop relationships with strategic decisionmakers and key policy stakeholders in DRC, both in Kinshasa and in Goma.
- Build the technical advocacy capacity of ECI’s local grantees, focusing on both strategic and tactical planning and engagement.
- Research and write ECI policy briefs and advocacy reports, both for local and international, technical and non-technical audiences alike.
- Represent ECI at local advocacy events and forums, identifying strategic opportunities to engage.
- Manage ECI policymaker and donor trips, working with grantees and ECI staff to execute flawless trips, compelling site visits, and smooth logistics.
Communications & Storytelling
- Develop and implement the organization’s communications strategy, developing annual tactical operating plans to tell the story of ECI and our local grantees.
- Capture compelling success stories through short written success stories and captivating photos.
- Expand and develop relationships with the local press corps in Goma, identifying partner storytellers and strategic media opportunities to amplify the voices of our local grantees.
- Manage ECI Multimedia Producer, contributing to video pre- and post-production through Adobe Creative Suite, development of storyboard, identifying target audience(s), and coordination of relevant program staff.
- Design and produce all ECI brochures and reports, primarily utilizing Adobe InDesign and PhotoShop.
- Build the technical communications capacity of ECI’s local grantees, focusing on both visual and written storytelling techniques.
- Manage the organization’s social media presence, identifying developing social platforms to tell ECI and our grantees’ success stories and key messages, utilizing data analysis tools to track and increase follower engagement.
- Manage the organization’s website and coordinate the re-design process, ensuring content is current and the blog is regularly populated with engaging grantee success stories.
Project Cycle Management
- Manage all ECI grantees working in security sector reform, access to information and media, elections, and access to justice.
- Identify technical capacity-building needs of select ECI grantees working in the above sectors.
- Monitor and evaluate projects of select ECI grantees, providing tailored capacity-building support.
- Manage ECI projects in democratic governance and human rights education, maintaining relationship with existing donors and writing quarterly and final reports.
- Utilize ECI project management tools, including Indicator Tracking Table and Detailed Implementation Plan.
- Work with ECI Programs Department and Finance Department to ensure high quality narrative and financial reports are submitted to donors, ensuring compliance with donor regulations.
Concept & Proposal Writing
- Identify donor priorities and track funding opportunities and calls for proposals in the region.
- Build relationships and credibility with donors both within DRC and internationally.
- Coordinate and manage ECI Donor Engagement Detailed Implementation Plan within the Goma office.
- Coordinate design and development of concept notes and proposals for funding, working with ECI Programs Department staff as relevant, often taking the lead on writing grant proposals and project budgets.
- Manage ECI grantees to ensure they provide necessary programmatic and financial information in a timely manner for joint concept note and proposal development, providing detailed feedback and tailored capacity-building support.
- Entrepreneurial, creative, can-do attitude. Efficient and effective problem solver.
- Ability to thrive under pressure and with high workload, to work long work hours (frequent evening and weekend work).
- Ability to prioritize competing urgent and important priorities, and to manage time well while also simultaneously supervising small team.
- Excellent awareness and understanding of historical and current affairs in DRC; experience in the region is preferred.
- Passion for advocacy and public policy, with demonstrable experience developing and implementing advocacy strategy and coordinating policymaker delegations. Experience with US advocacy engagement is preferred.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite and Adobe Creative Suite (PhotoShop, InDesign, PremierePro and AfterEffects) as well as website management software and tools.
- Experience and passion in agricultural regulation and policy in sub-Saharan Africa is a major advantage.
- Compelling write and storyteller, with demonstrable experience developing and implementing communications strategy.
- Experienced project manager, with demonstrable experience in M&E, capacity-building and managing network of grantees.
- Experienced proposal writer, with demonstrable success in securing funding.
- Professional fluency in French and English is essential (Swahili is an advantage, but not essential).
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or public policy is required, Masters degree preferred.
- Active user of a wide range of social media networks, with demonstrable success in managing and increasing an online following.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV. Only complete applications will be considered. ECI is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications can be submitted to email@example.com with “Advocacy & Communications Manager” in the subject line. Successful Applicants will be invited for an initial phone interview. No phone calls please.
Deadline - Open Until Filled
ECI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.